1/24 SE5a

Started by IAN Convey · 57 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great work, Ian (@firelockg). Decals and rigging came out awesome, and I don't see any leaning. Perhaps one of the wheels is sitting in a hole?

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Maybe a flat tyre George, was contemplating doing some bullet hole repair work on it. I have read that Mannock's SE5a often came back from combat with the wings looking like a sieve, requiring the riggers to patch it for the next sortie, could look pretty cool I think.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Have added the bullet hole repairs, just a short burst from starboard tail to port wing, that I think is enough for this model, I shall now clear the bench and make ready for my Roden 1/32 Sopwith Triplane.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Those repairs do look very realistic, Ian @firelockg
    A great addition to this already great build.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Yes I reckon they are the finishing touch John.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

The repairs look really nice, Ian (@firelockg). Having repairs like that certainly wouldn't give warm feelings in a plane made of cloth. Looking forward to the next one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

It looks wonderful, my friend @firelockg!
    Those repairs add even more realism!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

George and Spiros,
    I got the idea of the repairs from when I was in the RAAF, the CAC Winjeel trainers had fabric covering the control surfaces and I recall watching 2 airframe fitters repair a rip in the elevator surface where a stand had had a collision with it. Probably a lost skill now.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    Those patches look great... like the proverbial icing on the cake. Just what this model needed. I only know of one person that does fabric nowadays. He recovers the entire section though, instead of patching. I think this would be something I would want to learn how to do. I have always wanted to build my own "home built" plane. This skill set would come in handy..

But chances are that I couldn't afford to do it if I had the opportunity.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Thanks Louis, I used a watered down colour on the patches as I think repairs at the front would be more practical than cosmetic, also you can see them better.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

This one came out great, Ian (@firelockg). Now you have time and room to build your Triplane.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

George, already started.