1/32 Academy Nieuport 17

Started by Louis Gardner · 74 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Here is what I accomplished tonight. I'm very happy with how it is turning out.

I started off by cutting out the Bass wood 1/16 square strips to length. I used the original pattern to get a decent estimate of how long the parts should be. I cut out enough wooden strips to build up four different fuselage sides.

They are aligned in the order they will be used, top to bottom, and front to back. I have placed the original balsa wood template below the parts so you can see where they fit. I also did not cut anything out for the place where the round metal tubing will eventually be installed. Instead, I will use a push pin to keep the bottom longeron in the correct location as far as the bend goes on the lower fuselage.

Nest step I stained the Bass wood using Windsor and Newton oil paints. This color you see here I believe is Burnt Sienna or something like that. I will check tomorrow and update this posting if necessary.

Again the parts are laid out in order. I wiped off the excess oil with a paper towel. Note to self... next time wear gloves ! Did I ever mention that oil paints stick to your fingers easily ? Plus they are hard to remove.

I wanted to see exactly how this color would look against the simulated "plywood" background. I made a few samples wood pieces with different color oils. I liked this one the best, because I wanted a contrast, yet not something that was too dark. This is the color I chose.

The wood changes in appearance / tone as the light hits it from different angles. I'm very pleased with the color choice I made. I will be using this for my Hobbycraft SPAD XIII Reed Chambers "Flag Bus" as well, and possibly a Hobbycraft 1/32 scale Sopwith Camel if I ever get around to building it. I recently scored a Wingnut Wings Camel in the USAS... I have been eyeballing the US Marine Corps version. If It hits the work bench, I will build the HC Camel at the same time.

Time will tell if this becomes reality. But the more I look at the WNW Camel, the harder it is to resist. I am really enjoying the WNW Pfalz D-III.

I ended up getting out some of my RC scale airplane building stuff. I have a wooden board, covered with a layer of wax paper, that I pin the parts to as they dry. Since this 1/16 inch square wood is so small in thickness, I simply pin next to the wood, rather than into it. If I were to pin the wood, it would likely split it. Sometimes I cross the pins over the wood strip, but this way it will be easier to remove and install the next set of strips for the next fuselage half.

This way they should all be the same as well. I have been measuring the location of the vertical strips, and also checking them to make sure they are square when measured from the top longeron.

Finally, you can see the original template in the bottom of the picture.

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can have the other three sides assembled. I have been using CA accelerator, so this fuselage half is ready to be removed from the board.

Now that the first fuselage half is assembled and pinned in place, the next three fuselage sides should move along much faster, because everything needed is ready to go.

I'm calling it a night,

Take care, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Excellent interior, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 5 days ago:

This looks really good, Louis @lgardner
    The chosen color is perfect for the framing.
    A great approach to get the frame shaped nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 week, 5 days ago:

The work here is outstanding, Louis @lgardner . The materials are great and the outcomes are looking spectacular!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 5 days ago:

The wooden framework is progressing well Louis, colours look good, pity we will not be able to see it all when closed up.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

RC building skills are certainly coming in handy here, Louis (@lgardner). You need to resist the temptation to build a working engine and add it to the model. Scoring a Wingnut Wings model is like finding the lost mother lode. Looking forward to that one.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

Paul Barber (@yellow10)

IAN Convey (@firelockg)

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)

Thank you gentlemen for your wonderful comments. Unfortunately, once again I am pressed for time, so this has to be brief. I should be getting more bench time during the next two weeks, so I hope to make a lot of progress during this time. I will try my best to better reply to you as well.

I have made some progress on the N-17.

I have managed to get all four fuselage halves glued together. This didn't take too much time, since I had everything ready to go.

I had been looking at various other builds online, and I stumbled across this method of making anchors for the upcoming rigging. I have tried making them, using several using different kinds of wire, with all of them being in the 28 gauge diameter range.

I chose different finishes for the wire I had in "Ye Olde Stash". Here I am using a #77 drill bit to make the round portion of the eye for the anchor.

So I made up several to see how hard it would be. These things are tiny, and my poor old eyes are not quite up to it.
    Thank goodness for my 10X magnifying light. These completed anchors are about 1/4 inch long, and will be trimmed down in length once I drill the hole they will be permanently glued in.

It turns out, (like everything often does), once you build one or two of these, they can be made rather quickly. I think I can get at least two of them done in a minute, and that's with only making these few to begin with. I think the number produced per minute will increase with practice.

As always, comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a good evening.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Those anchors look really good, Louis (@lgardner). As far as modeling time goes, there are always things that come up that have a higher priority than building cool models.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George. I had another fun filled day at the dermatologist's office earlier today. I have two more large incisions on my back, and about 20 plus stitches. They found more full blown melanoma. I'm hoping it didn't break through the back side of my skin. If it has, I'm looking at going through chemotherapy. Finger's are crossed !

This is why I have been going regularly back to see him every six months. The good thing is that now I will get more bench time available, since he told me to stay inside and not lift anything heavy.

This sounds like a pass for hobby time !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Sorry to hear, my friend @lgardner. Fingers crossed all will be ok with your health.
    Your progress on the Nieuport is great and those anchors are spectacular!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Sorry your visit was so invasive, Louis (@lgardner), but it will be worth it in the end. They can usually tell if there will be problems when they do the cutting. They found two more cancerous patches on my last visit, both on the top of my head. They are trying a cream that will cause the skin in the area to peel, hopefully taking the bad stuff with it. If that doesn't work, then it is surgery. Should know in a couple of months. Good luck, and remember not to lean back in your chair while you are modeling.

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you my friend. I sincerely appreciate your comments and concern.

There are at least two good things that have happened because of this. Hopefully they have removed all of the cancer, and this is the main thing.

The second good thing to happen because of this is I will be getting in some more time to work on the models. Lately I have been very busy with numerous other "life" things that have been preventing me from getting much done at the bench.

Thank you for the well wishes. I will definitely keep you all posted.

I have this to say... If you have not had a visit to a dermatologist before, or in a long time, you really should get checked. This is especially true if you are fair skinned and have a light complexion. I spent a lot of time in the desert when I was in the Army, and I also lived in Florida for most of my life. Sunshine and exposed skin are not a good mix.

Please do yourself (and your family) a huge favor and go get checked. Your life could depend on it...

And who would end up with your stash ? 😉

• Profile Photo

Yes I am very familiar with the cream you are talking about. I have used it several times before. I even cut my hair down to the scalp so I could get better coverage with it on my skin. I didn't want my hair to keep it from getting down deep enough to reach my skin. The hair grew back. That was the least of my worries. I just sent you a text...

I had the majority of my head / face and forearms covered with melanoma and pre cancerous spots. They couldn't surgically remove all of them. So my dermatologist prescribed the cream to me. It only affects the areas that are cancerous or pre cancerous. It does not harm healthy skin. I had to apply it for two weeks. At first it was not too bad. But after about the 4th or 5th day, it began to burn like crazy.

It's basically a chemical peel that stimulates your body to peel off the outer layers of skin. Then like you mentioned, new healthy skin will grow back, replacing the harmful areas. I will be wishing you luck too. I'm sorry to hear that you have two more cancerous places. Hopefully the skin peel will work, and you will not have to get cut on.

They have frozen off several of the areas that were on top of my head. Maybe this could be an option for you instead of cutting ?

The main thing is they found your problem areas and are treating it.

Please keep me posted if you don't mind. I am always concerned for my friends, especially when it is something like this... and I will do the same for you. I'll send you another text tomorrow. Stay safe brother...

My doctor told me that they are sending the tissue samples out to the lab to make sure that I have clear margins on the outside edges of the incisions. He told me that he would be cutting out enough to get everything. My reply back to him was "Take as much as you think you might need... and then go some more. I want to have clean margins too, and I don't want to go through again this anytime soon.".

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

Louis, I thought I would throw in my method of making anchors, for what its worth. I cut a piece off a coil spring .4mm D and super glued it into a dowel, using .25mm D copper wire I fold in 1/2 and place it over the coil then just twist it whilst holding with the fingers, takes about 15 seconds to do one, as per photo (pencil for scale ). Great doctors advice, more modelling time, good luck with the health problems.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

Sorry to hear about the findings, Louis @lgardner. Fingers crossed that all will be fine.
    Progress on the Ni17 looks amazing, nice work on those tine bits.