1/32 Roden Albatros D-III Jasta 5 as flown by Werner Voss

Started by Louis Gardner · 46 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

This is another Werner Voss plane that I have been wanting to build for years... and now it seems like this dream will become a reality.

This is the kit I will be using. It is the 1/32 scale Roden version.

These are the markings for the plane. This was one of Voss' favorite planes. I have located several pictures of it from different angles over the years in preparation of eventually building it. With the advent of this Great War group, there is no better time than the present.

My goal is to have three aircraft in my display case that were flown by Lt. Voss. Back in 2017, I built a model of his famous Fokker F-1 prototype triplane. This is the aircraft in which he was killed, while fighting at least 6 RAF pilots from No 56 Squadron in SE-5A's. A good majority of them were "Ace" pilots. They were amazed by Voss' flying ability on this fateful day.

I used the ancient 1/28 scale Revell Fokker Dr-1 and back dated it to make this plane. I also have started a journal for Voss' Pfalz D-III, and now with his Albatros D-III added, I will have covered all of the planes he flew that I wanted to represent in my collection.

These are the one piece wings that are included in the box. Here is a problem... I have read that Voss' Albatros had the newer style upper wing where the radiator was moved off center, and located more to the Starboard side. This was done to help reduce the chances of the pilot being scalded by hot water from the radiator in the event it was hit by something and a hole was made.

I have read that Voss actually helped his ground crew / mechanics replace the wing with the newer style with the offset radiator.

As luck would have it, I have this kit in the stash as well. It's also a Roden 1/32 scale Albatros. However it is an OAW version. The plastic in this kit is a little different in some places. Most notable are the larger rounded rudder...

and the upper wing which has the offset radiator included !

Score one for the team...

Here you can see the two upper wings sitting next to each other. Not only was the Teeves and Braun radiator offset, but it was also larger in size. You can see by how much in the picture.

This shows the larger offset radiator wing plastic. The lower wing is also provided on the same parts tree. The details look very nice. I am SO happy that Roden decided to make the wings as a one piece unit.

These are the rest of the plastic parts that are included in the Albatros D-III kit. I will be swapping the upper wing from the OAW boxing and using it on my Voss build.

I will then use the original wing included in the Albatros built plane on the OAW model.

However, I'm not sure if this will be correct though, as OAW started making Albatros fighters under contract for Albatros after production had began on the D-III. I have read that approximately 270 or so Albatros D-III fighters were built with the center mounted radiator, before it was changed over to the offset style.

I might not have the actual number built down exactly, but it was something very similar to this...

Also the upper wing was often replaced in the field, and installed "retroactively" on the older machines as they became available. So I'm not certain if the center radiator style wing will be correct on any OAW built machine. I'm going to "wing it" (no pun intended), and go this route by using the center mount radiator wing on the OAW kit when I eventually get around to building it up. This will not happen any time soon.

Chances are that 99 percent of the people will not know the difference anyhow... but sadly I will. And this will eat away at me until I bash my head against the wall until it's bloody. No I'm not that bad, but it will bother me a little. You know what I mean.

This is the other difference between the OAW Albatross and the regular D-III built by Albatros. The nose section has different panel lines. Here we see the OAW version on the top of this picture.

This is something that I have wanted to do for years. I'm finally getting around to doing it. You can't believe how stoked I am about this.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by and have a good night.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Another wonderful entry, my friend @lgardner! Excellent research, down to EVERY detail. I can understand your excitement and I am looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A great entry as well, Louis @lgardner
    Looking forward to see how you tackle all those amazing builds you have currently ongoing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten) ·
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thanks for stopping by ! I have some good news to report about this project...

Last night I ordered two kits from Sprue Brothers. One was one of these: A 1/32 scale Roden Albatros D-III (OAW) built plane.

The other kit was also a Roden 1/32 scale kit, but this one was a Pfalz D-III. I will be using it to make a model of the Pfalz that Werner Voss flew for a short time shortly before he got the Fokker Triplane.

They have been marked as "shipped" so I hope to get them in about a week.

I wanted to use the offset radiator from the Albatros OAW kit I had in the stash, so I can make this Voss Albatros more authentic. This will involve using the upper wing from this OAW kit.

I will still eventually build the OAW kit, but it will have the earlier style wing on it with the center mounted radiator. I'm not 100 percent certain if this will be authentic or not, but I will "fudge" it a little if necessary.

In a worst case scenario, I could sand down the shape of the rudder to make it look like the earlier Albatros, and fill in some of the panel lines on the nose, re-scribing as necessary.

Then I could build it up as the plane on the box top or perhaps one of the kit supplied decal options for it.

But I was kind of liking the red and white striped plane on the box... Building it, but using the earlier style wing and pretend not to know... But that will be hard because I DO know... You know the deal... OK that was a bad joke, or play on words.

As always comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by and have a good night.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

This is some very good news, Louis @lgardner
    Let's hope they will arrive shortly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Great approach, my friend @lgardner! I bet you cannot wait to see the kits arriving at your doorstep 😁

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you my friends. Yes I am very excited for these kit's to arrive. They are supposed to be delivered on Thursday. I will definitely let you know when they arrive.

I made some good progress on the Albatros today... so please stay tuned for the next installment. It's coming right up !

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo

Here’s what I accomplished today.

The exhaust pipe has a big sink mark in it. Luckily it is located on the bottom side, so hopefully it will not be too visible...

Not wanting to take any chances, I filled the sink hole in with LQS.

I also carefully opened the exhaust end up with a #11 blade. I was very careful not to break it. Luckily the plastic is soft so it was not too hard to do.

The engine cooling pipe was painted. I'm not sure about the color call out on this one. The instructions said to paint it black... so I did. But it may have actually been a brass or copper color. I'm not sure so I did not install it yet. More research is required before that happens.

I assembled the horizontals. The fit was excellent here.

The fuselage halves were removed from the trees, and the attachment points were cleaned up. They are ready to start painting / detailing on the interior sides. I will probably try out the new oil paints I recently picked up here to replicate a wood grain finish. This will be a first time for me, so wish me luck.

Sharp eyes viewers might have noticed the almost completed Mercedes D-III in the background.

And here it is. The engine was assembled. I had to take my time and clean up a little flash. The fit was good. No complaints here. Using various internet pictures, and the instructions provided in the WNW Pfalz D-III, I painted it as you see here. The Roden kit instructions were off a little with the color call outs. I painted the crank case with aluminum first. Then I came back with some "Rub N Buff" Silver and that really made it look better.

This is the other side of the Mercedes. I painted the fuel filters ? with Tamiya Clear Yellow. This was done to replicate a brass look. I might actually try some Gold colored Bare Metal Foil on here to see if it looks more like a polished brass.

I still have to add the spark plug wires.

Also you can see where I cut off the plastic blobs that were supposed to represent the exposed valve springs. I made some replacements with miniature florists wire. I have replaced all six intake valve springs on this side.

The other exhaust side valve springs still need to be done. Hopefully tomorrow I can knock it out.

That's all for today. Please check back soon for another update.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month ago:

Engine is looking good Louis.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

You definitely made some good progress, Louis @lgardner
    Nice work on the exhaust and especially the engine which looks superb.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)

Thanks gents ! I had full plans to do some more work on it today, but once again life got in the way and nothing happened. If I am lucky, I might be able to squeak in an hour or so tonight. I hope so, because tomorrow is another busy day with limited work bench time... We shall see.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

The engine looks superb, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 weeks ago:

Looking good, Louis. That engine is awesome. The offset radiator was installed to avoid scalding the pilot when pierced.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John Healy (@j-healy)
    Thank you very much for the compliments. I had read that Werner Voss actually assisted his ground crew / mechanics with doing the upper wing change. They mentioned that he did it for the same reasons you mentioned John. The same article also said that the wings were often retro fitted to the older aircraft as they became available. So you have to check your references if you are lucky enough to have pictures available.

I might have been able to build his Albatros with the center mount radiator, but the pictures I have of his plane show it had an offset radiator installed. I believe the replacement upper wing might have also had the later Mauve and Green camouflage on them, instead of the original Light Green, Brown, and Darker Green colors applied. So I have been considering painting his plane like that, along with the White stripes on top of the top wing. I think it would look cool like that.

But I'm still not convinced just yet. Right now I need to do a little more research to see when the color change went into effect before I go this route.

Tonight I have some more "goodness" to report. The 1/32 Roden Albatros D-III OAW arrived from Sprue Brothers, along with the 1/32 Roden Pfalz D-III.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

... and here it is !

I got very lucky and scored the last OAW Albatros that Sprue Brothers had in stock. I was able to use my points so I got it even cheaper. I also ordered the last 1/32 scale Roden Pfalz D-III (early) kit they had in stock. These two kits were a great score ! Just what I needed.

So now I have two of these. I'm going to keep the new one sealed, and build it at a later date. I purchased this kit so that I could build an OAW machine later on with the correct offset radiator.

Meanwhile, the other one I have previously opened, I will "borrow" the top wing from it to use on my Voss Albatros D-III.

Here you can see how the radiator is offset. Just as John stated earlier, this was done in case the radiator was shot and started leaking. If this happened, it would start dumping very hot water on the pilot, scalding him and causing serious injury.

I have read that some pilots would attempt to fly the plane at an angle, which is often called "Crabbing" when this happened, in order to try and keep from getting burned quite so badly. I can only imagine how horrible that must have been.

This is why the radiator was moved off to one side... to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for stopping by, and as always comments are encouraged.

Good night everyone.