1/35 Garford-Putilov Armoured Car - Copperstate Models

Started by George R Blair Jr · 153 · 1 week ago · 1/35, armoured car, Copperstate Models, Garford-Putilov Armoured Car, russian, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Good progress, my friend @gblair! Good approach in creating the correct color shades!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Some very nice progress, George @gblair

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Sometimes it is helpful to find Tamiya paint mixes online, and sometimes you get a whole bunch of things to try out.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Progress looks good George (@gblair). I always have trouble with mixing paints. I really do not know my way around that very well and it takes many tries to get what I am after. I have used online mix ratios with success in the past, but I have also had some that were not even close. Trying to find a go to source for color matching is an ongoing battle.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): Mixing paints can be a real interesting process. I took a class in Color Theory several years ago as part of a very slow pursuit of watercolor painting, but it has only limited benefit. You have to know what colors are already in the paint to predict the results when you add other colors. For instance, olive drab may be made up of several different pigments that produce unpredictable results when mixed with anything other than white. The other reason I don't like to mix my own colors is that they are hard to match when I inevitably have to go back and repaint something. It might work to my advantage on an armoured car. Like you mentioned, using online formulas sometimes produces results that don't look anything like what they are supposed to. Further complicating things is when I search for "WW1 Russian Armor Color", I always get a mix for 4BO, which is a WW2 color. It may be the same color they used in WW1, but I can't find anything that says that. This has been fun so far, so that is a big plus.

• Profile Photo

Yes, I know what you mean George (@gblair). I have dealt with this need to remix at a later date to match previously mixed paint and its not easy. I tend to make more than I need nowadays. I had difficulty getting my USN colors for the San Francisco project and I still don't think I got them completely right. But it is fun nonetheless.

• Profile Photo

Your colors for the San Francisco are perfect, Carl (@clipper). When I eventually get going again on the APD, I plan to copy your colors. :o)

• Profile Photo

Got a little work done on the frame today. The frame is almost done. Everything fits together perfectly with minimal cleanup, so far. Tomorrow I want to test some of the Tamiya paint formulas for the exterior and see which I like the best.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, my friend @gblair! Great that everything fits well so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Some great result on the frame, George @gblair

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I lost a lot of time watching the Olympics, but I should be able to make some good progress now that they are over.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

This is progressing nicely, George.

• Profile Photo

I have not delved in armor or ground vehicles much, but I must say this is pretty cool George (@gblair). I like where this is going. The colors should be relatively easy to match given the excellent color of the instructions. As a side note, I might suggest you purchase small plastic tattoo cups for test mixes. They have the advantage of not wasting a lot of material if your mixes go south and when doing small detail work, they are ideal for small thinned batches of water based (or other types) of paint. Looking forward to seeing more as this progresses.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): The pamphlet that includes the markings and colors is very cool and set up like a manual for the actual armoured car. The colors are a little generic, such as "dark green". So, not much help in specific colors. Info on WW1 colors online is very sparse also. In the end, I will probably end up with "what looks right". Notice I say that as if I knew what the colors of a WW1 Russian armoured car were supposed to be. :o)

For mixing paints, I use clear trays with depressions that I got on Amazon a while back. It works great for testing colors and mixing small amounts of colors. For larger amounts, I use the small solo cups you get condiments in at some restaurants. I got a box of 1000 at Sam's several years ago for just a few bucks. I use them for everything because I will probably never be able to use them all.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I like those plastic trays with the depressions George (@gblair). Great for comparing mix ratios to one another.