1/35 Garford-Putilov Armoured Car - Copperstate Models

Started by George R Blair Jr · 153 · 1 week ago · 1/35, armoured car, Copperstate Models, Garford-Putilov Armoured Car, russian, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Got some painting done today. A good coat of paint really makes a big difference. My current plan is to paint as much as I can before I start assembling. So far, so good.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Excellent progress George (@gblair). Hope you're doing well. My one experience with chipping fluid has left me leery of using it again. I see the advantages of it and I agree that it is very effective. But having all that paint chip of my Lightning, was a bit much for me. So I will have to experiment more before I try this again. Nonetheless, the paint work and weathering you have going here look outstanding.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Outstanding painting results, my friend @gblair! You are right, painting made a big difference.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Very nice weathering effects, George @gblair
    I definitely should use this chipping fluid more often.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by: Carl (@clipper), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). This is a cool model, and I always get a big boost when I start painting. I don't use chipping fluid much, mainly because its results don't seem to be very controllable. I have read articles where modelers say that the results can be controlled, but that hasn't been my experience. This is my first time using Vallejo chipping fluid, and it seemed less controllable than the other brands, such as AK or Mig. I suppose practice is the key.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

Excellent weathering, George. This is an interesting model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by, John (@j-healy).

• Profile Photo

I moved on to painting and assembling the upper part of the model. The painting can be a little confusing here. Some interior parts are green, some are white, and some are green and white. I have been trying to paint some of the pieces on the sprue, but it is really easy to mis-identify something and have to repaint a color. I plan to paint only a couple of steps at a time, which means a lot of painting of a few parts, along with a lot of airbrush cleaning. I am also trying to do some of the weathering as I go, which takes some planning time. More tomorrow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Hopefully everything went well at your last visit with the doctor. I have been there occasionally myself. You go in expecting to talk about one thing, and end up talking about something completely different.

You have been very busy with this one ! My favorite is the seat box, and how you have chipped the paint off of it, revealing the wooden undersurface. The seat cushions look great too !

Being a RH drive vehicle, I wonder if this was originally an English design or build ? My wife used to deliver the mail for the US Postal Service, and when we were married, she had a RH drive delivery Jeep. At one point she had 3 of them... Two were being used for parts because they were getting harder to find even back then 30 years ago. It was an odd feeling driving it from the wrong side of the road ! It was a fun little thing to drive, but it didn't have air conditioning and it was brutally hot in the Florida summer heat.

The newer LLV Postal Delivery vehicles don't have AC either... and very little insulation. The aluminum bodies used on the LLV were made by Grumman, and it has rivets galore... reminding me of a Wildcat, or more aptly a DC-3 / C-47 which is built with a gazillion rivets !

The armored car is looking very nice.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Excellent progress, George @gblair
    The weathering of those parts looks really nice.
    That plywood box and the cushions do look very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent looks so far, my friend @gblair! Kudos to your painting and weathering skills!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner), John (@johnb), and Spiros (@fiveten). This build continues to be fun and offers a lot of chances to try weathering. The seat box was interesting. I have seen the new postal trucks, but our mail delivery still has one of the older one. With constant stops, I am not sure air conditioning would do a lot of good, and would probably kill the gas mileage. I am sure it gets really hot in places like Texas and Florida.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

I was thinking the same thing as the others George (@gblair), that the seat box and the cushions looks exceptionally well done. Combining that with the chassis weathering and this is going to look very much how I would expect something like that to look were I in a position of having to drive it. I think back to my aviation days and the mild rust and chipping conditions of the ground vehicles. Of course military vehicles are going to have a harder life.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Carl (@clipper). Things are starting to come together, including the seat and bulkhead for the driver's compartment. I am trying to do some of the aging and weathering with the airbrush, and I will do the rest with oils and other weathering products. I still have the diorama to think about, as well as the figures. This is a lot more fun than the APD conversion.

• Profile Photo

We had our granddaughter for several hours today, so it was Papa and Evie play time. I did get some things done. It is working well to only work two steps at a time. I ID the parts, take them off the sprue and clean them up, then figure out if they are green or white, and then paint them. None of my paints take a long time to dry, so it is easy to complete the 2 steps in a short time. This also keeps me from mis-identifying the parts and painting them the wrong color. I hope to finish most of the interior tomorrow. Cheers.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.