1/35 Garford-Putilov Armoured Car - Copperstate Models

Started by George R Blair Jr · 153 · 1 week ago · 1/35, armoured car, Copperstate Models, Garford-Putilov Armoured Car, russian, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Still a productive modeling day, my friend @gblair! Interior looks awesome so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Even besides your wonderful time with Evie, you did a lot on this build, George @gblair
    Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). This has been a trouble-free build, apart from mis-identifying a couple of parts and painting them the wrong color, which was my fault.

• Profile Photo

I hit the part of the instructions today where we begin to button up the interior. I did a lot of weathering with artist oils and chalk pastels. I am not sure how much of the interior will be reachable once I box in the compartments, so I wanted to get as much done as I could. Cheers.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This one is really coming together nicely, George @gblair
    I really like how the weathering is turning out.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I hope to finish the interior today and get ready for the outside.

• Profile Photo

I ran into an interesting problem today. Most of the upper part of the arm consists of large pieces that meet with beveled edges. Most of the edges have no slots or other means to insure correct alignment. I have been assembling all of these pieces for the last few days by gluing them together, adjusting their fit visually, and then taping them to hold them together while the glue dries. This seems like an efficient way to assemble the structure, but I discovered that the final pieces of the superstructures didn't fit. Apparently each piece was a fraction of a millimeter off from its correct position, and as I continued to add more superstructure pieces that were also slightly off, the error added up to a final piece that won't fit. So, faced with a cumulative error like that, I tried to clamp the pieces in place while the glue holds everything together. Well...a lot of the seams in the previous pieces broke free, leaving me with an attempt to clamp and tape them in place while more glue dried. We'll see if that works. Cheers.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Such cumulative offsets happen in kits like this, my friend @gblair. Hopefully glue, clamps and tape will do the job.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    The interior weathering , dirt and chipping looks very authentic. On the interior of our tanks they were painted in a semi-gloss white. After some time in the field they looked just like your model does. White tends to get dirty very quickly. Needless to say when we returned back from a training exercise we spent a lot of time at the wash rack... cleaning our homes and getting them looking good again. Every so often we would repaint the interiors, and the exteriors too because the paint occasionally chipped off leaving chunks of bare metal which was a no no...

I'm sorry to hear the final part didn't fit. It seems like this happens to all of us at one point or another. I recently had a mishap with my Cologne Panther. It was not the kit's fault, but my building. I installed the engine radiators on backwards ! They had an angled slope to them, and I found out the upper hull wouldn't fit correctly because of this.

So I had to cut them off and redo them. It took me about 30 minutes of surgical work with an Exacto #11 and a nail file board. In the end it was fine, and more importantly no blood was shed.

I'm sure you will be fine too. I like the idea of using clamps like this. I will definitely keep that idea stored in my Mark 2 memory bank parked in between my ears.

It's looking good ! and I can't wait to see your next installment. I'm also happy to hear that you got to spend some quality time with your grand daughter Evie. You have been blessed for sure.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

A not so easy step in this build, holding all those parts together and get them mounted nicely, George @gblair
    I'm sure you will get it done with all those aids.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Louis (@lgardner). I was thinking that gluing parts together on a bevel was a cool and efficient way to get the various parts joined, but it only works if you are absolutely accurate gluing the beveled faces together. I hope to get it sorted today.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Yes, I too have run into the cumulative error problem on occasion George (@gblair). Like Louis (@lgardner) and Spiros (@fiveten) said, these happen to us all. When I was doing precision aircraft sheetmetal fabrication, we had 5 thousandths tolerance which was extremely difficult to maintain. I can't imagine doing that now given my age. But somehow, we did it.

Everything looks good so far George. Looking forward to the next installment. By the way, if anyone can invent a set of clamps like those that work in miniature for PE, I'll buy a set! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michiel Gielen said 1 month ago:

Nice, have this one, the Putrilov, the Austin and the Lanchester waiting 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper) and Michiel (@michiel_gielen). I bet you had some precision tools, Carl, to help you maintain tolerances. Maybe something similar to the miniature PE clamps that we have. :o) I don't build more than the occasional piece of armor, Michiel, but I really like this Putilov. I have a weakness for armored cars, and I have several WW1 and WW2 armored cars waiting in the wings. Do you plan to build one for the group?

• Profile Photo

I think I am back on track. I got some Tamiya glue with the orange cap, which is considerable thicker than the other Tamiya glues. I thought it might hold better than the thinner cements. I used it on the side pieces I had to bend into shape, and it seemed to bond much better. Everything is pulled together and glued, and held in place with about 20 yards of tape. I plan to let it dry overnight and see how it does. I also started cleaning up the 76mm shells and the 3 machine guns. Things seem to be moving along well again.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.