1/35 Garford-Putilov Armoured Car - Copperstate Models

Started by George R Blair Jr · 153 · 1 week ago · 1/35, armoured car, Copperstate Models, Garford-Putilov Armoured Car, russian, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

All looking excellent so far, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Looking great, George @gblair

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Time to start thinking about the diorama base for the armoured car.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

This is really shaping up well, George. That gun almost looks like a naval cannon.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Thanks, John (j-healy). It does look like one of those naval cannons that were on the early 110' subchaseers. The instructions say that it was called an "anti-assault" cannon. I don't know much about WW1 armoured cars, but a 76mm cannon seems like it would be a formidable weapon.

• Profile Photo

As usual, it is the last small bits that seem to take the longest. I spent a couple of hours hand-painting a lot of the small pieces that are about to get the glue. This includes a number of lights and spot lights, handles to turn the turret, and a pair of coach lights in a brass housing. I did some more detail painting on the 76mm "anti-assault" cannon and then sealed everything with some flat clear.

I also wanted to rework the rear part of the turret. The kit part attaches in a place that should be a flat plate, so there is a visible seam in a place where there should be one. I don't know how hard it would have been to mold the rear piece so that it would attach in the same place as the real vehicle. I added some filler and will carefully sand and smooth tomorrow.

I added the decals today. There are only 4 decals for the entire kit, consisting of the name of the individual vehicle on all 4 sides. The decals were by Cartograph and went on well, but refused to settle down over rivets. A couple of rounds of MicroSol didn't help, so I resorted some stronger stuff, which finally did the trick.

I hope to assemble everything tomorrow, spray on a protective layer of clear flat, and then start thinking about weathering. Cheers everyone.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Another productive entry George (@gblair). All looks well done and coming along nicely. Always scary when a decal doesn't respond to your normal process and you have to resort to something else, typically with little recourse if something goes wrong. Thankfully you beat it into submission.

• Profile Photo

You are right, Carl (@clipper). My hands shake when I get to the decals because they have the power ruin the model you have been working on for weeks. These look a little thick, but I will know more after I spray the clear over them.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Quite some work done, George @gblair
    All looking great.
    What 'stronger stuff' exactly did you use to finally get those decals settled.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Hi John (@johnb). There are two different things I use when I need something strong for decals: Walthers Solvaset and Tamiya MarkFit Strong. Solvaset was designed for model trains and is very strong. I have actually had it dissolve a decal, so always check on a spare decal from the sheet you are using. MarkFit isn't quite as strong as Solvaset, but it is stronger than MicroSol. I have never had MarkFit dissolve a decal, but it still wouldn't hurt to test it first. I used MarkFit to get the decals to settle down on the armoured car.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Markfit for the win, George! Looking great.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)

It has been several days since I have logged into Imodeler. I have caught up with reading your build journal.

I must admit, you have been making some wonderful progress. I like everything that you have done, as it looks really nice. Great way to tame the decals. Adding them is the point during a build where everything comes together. It's also one of my favorite parts of the build.

Lately I have been using a Molotow chrome pen to "paint" things like headlights and spot lights. They seem to take a long time to dry, and they dull down some when coated with a clear coat. So I typically use them at the very end of the build. The end result looks very realistic, and is on par with using a MV lens as a replacement for the kit supplied parts.

I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby. I think if you gave them a try, you might not go back to using silver paint on headlights. They work equally as well for aircraft landing lights. It's basically chrome in a pen form, that actually looks like chrome when it dries. You have to be careful not to touch it for several days after application.

My friend, you are on a roll, and making some excellent progress.

Take care, and I look forward to your next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @gblair! Great that you managed to make the decals settling down efficiently!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Hi Louis (@lgardner). I am not worried to much about the shine on the spotlights because there is a clear piece that goes over each of them. I have a Molotow pen but have never used it. It is on my list of things to try at some point in the future. Thanks for stopping in.

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It is great to have another weapon in the tool bag.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I managed to get all of the sub-assemblies and last minute parts together, and then sprayed them all with some Tamiya Clear Flat. After that dried, I started assembling the last pieces. There are 5 lamps that face forward, and each was painted and then the "glass" was cemented into place using white glue. These were then added to the front of the vehicle. The crank to start the engine was added below the radiator. There are two armored doors that cover the radiator and they were added. There is a light behind the doors which prevents them from being fully closed. I can't imagine too many instances when you would want the radiators to receive no cooling air. I also added the two flaps which sit in the front driver's window.

The last things I did today had to do with the turret for the 76mm cannon. Yesterday I filled the joints where the rear of the turret joins with the forward part of the turret. The joint isn't where panels join on the real armoured car, so the joins were filled, sanded, and repainted. When all of this was dry, I added the turret to the chassis. I am still puzzled by one thing about the turret. There is no hatch to get into the turret. The turret roof at the rear of the turret is open, as is the rear of the machine gunner's compartment. I can't imagine climbing up and over the bulkheads in combat to get into the turret. There is a hatch in the floor of the turret, but to access it you have to squeeze through the drive train for the vehicle. I haven't found any resource on this armoured car that provides anything other than basic info, so if any of you know how the gunners got into to the turret, please let me know. Tomorrow I plan to start weathering and begin construction of the diorama base. I also need to get started on the figures.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.