1/48 Airco DH-5

Started by Robert L Hart · 6 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert L Hart said 1 month ago:

Karaya resin kit. This is a shelf of doom project. I had the model close to completion about 15 months ago, but suffered a catastrophic decal fail (I loathe waterslide decals anyway). The kit decals refused to lay down and curled at the edges despite multiple dowsings in every decal solvent ever produced, many warming sessions with hand held hairdryers, and innumerable proddings, pokings, and slicings. I was unable to locate replacement decals before losing interest in the project and pulled the plug on the model. However, the kit is OOP, rare, and the sight of the box on the shelf bothered me. I resumed my search for new decals a few months ago and tracked down the last of them in July. For all of the old decals refusal to conform to the kit's surface details, they proved remarkably difficult to remove and I ended up having to sand them off. It shouldn't take a lot to finish the model, but I am a slow builder and have another project to finish before I can get started in earnest.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent entry, beautiful job as always and fantastic save, my friend @magoo! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

This will be the first Karaya kit I have seen, Robert (@magoo). Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Great save on this rare kit, Robert @magoo
    It will look superb once finished.
    Never heard about Karaya.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

Great choice for a save, Robert.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

Robert L Hart (@magoo)
    Thank you for starting this build journal. Like the others, this is my first time for seeing one of these kits before. I never heard of the Karaya Company.

This was an odd looking flying machine with the negative stagger. Just think about it: Beechcraft did the same thing about 15 years later and made the Staggerwing... which is one of my favorite Golden Age aircraft. It's right up there with the Stinson Reliant.

Nice save, and I look forward to seeing your next steps.