1/48 Eduard SSW D. III and Fokker D.VII

Started by John Healy · 96 · 2 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I’ve decided to build these two side by side and finally use the Aviattic lozenge that I acquired a few years ago. The SSW is one of my favorite planes and I haven’t built a SSW or Fokker D.VII in 30 years. They’re both quality kits and aren’t complicated. This should be fun!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Fantastic dual entry, my friend @j-healy! Looking forward to them!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Hello John ! This is going to be fantastic. It looks as if we have similar tastes in aircraft as well. The Fokker D-VII is my all time favorite from the War, with the Dr-1 Triplane, Albatros and Pfalz single engine fighters being close behind these.

I no longer build biplanes in 1/48... but I have similar plans to build the "Seven Swabians" using a WNW D-VII and some Aviatik upgrades. Please let us know your thoughts on the lozenge decals. I have several of them in 1/32 scale with the 5 and 4 color upper / lower schemes. I'm very curious to see how they work.

They even have the fabric look to them when studied up close and appear to be a very nice addition.

Keep it going my friend !

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to seeing that Fokker, Louis. The Pfalz D.III/IIIa is my favorite WW1 plane and I should get a couple more of those done over the course of this GB too. So many choices. I used to do a lot of WW1 stuff and even still have some really nice vac kits in the old stash.

• Profile Photo

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Thanks ! The Pfalz is a BEAUTIFUL plane. I recently watched a video of a 1/2 scale RC flying model of one... It was almost big enough to get into and take it for a spin. Had a 15 feet wingspan on it...

I have plans to build a WNW Pfalz D-III with white and yellow markings of Werner Voss. I also want to build up his Albatros D-III using a 1/32 scale kit, but this one will be a Roden kit. Then I will have three of his most iconic planes built and on display in the display case. Thinking about building a 1/32 Rhys-Davis SE-5 as well...

It would look great parked next to this 1/28 scale Revell kit I made a few years ago.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Two wonderful entries, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to them.

• Profile Photo

I started some preliminary work on both kits today. Wing assembly and decal work/painting in the Fokker interior, and sanding down the stitching on the SSW’s wings and control surfaces. The stitching is really exaggerated and needs to go. I also realized my oil paints are dried out and I need to buy some for the interior woodwork on both planes.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Great start, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

That's a great start already, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for the heads-up on the lozenge decals j-healy.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

@j-healy Off to a flying start on a couple of fantastic aircraft! Love the SSW especially - great addition.

• Profile Photo

John Healy (@j-healy)
    By the looks of things, the Fokker is already well under way. I like how you have the lozenge on the inside of the fuselage. This is exactly how it would have looked. There was a lozenge fabric divider just behind the pilot's seat as well. In some occasions the seat itself was also covered and a seat cushion was optional.

What colors of oil paint are you planning to use ? I was thinking about using oil to simulate the wood grain fuselage on my WNW Albatros when I get around to adding it here.

The SSW is another plane that we don't often see built. This is already shaping up to be an epic build... I'm hooked.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I managed some quality time with my airbrush today. I pre-painted almost all of the small internal parts on both planes. I also assembled some of the interior parts including the Fokker’s engine mount and SSW’s major wood toned cockpit parts. I sprayed the SSW’s cockpit area with Tamiya acrylic Desert Sand. The Fokker’s floor board and instrument panel got the same treatment. All of these parts will be wood grained with oil paint. I was able to get the oils on the Fokker parts before calling it a day. All of the surfaces that will receive Aviattic lozenge were sprayed gloss white with Tamiya lacquer after a spray can coat of Tamiya white primer. The plan is to get the lozenge done while the oil paints dry. This can take several days in my experience.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Louis, I used a combo of Windsor and Newton Light Red and Burnt Sienna on the Fokker components today. I’ll probably just use the light red on the SSW so as not to darken the cockpit too much.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, fantastic prepainting, my friend @j-healy!