Started by John Healy · 96 · 1 hour ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A great painting session, John @j-healy
    All looking perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Thank you for letting me know what you are using to replicate the wood finish. I am going to be starting a build journal on a 1/32 scale Albatros D-III tonight. It will be done as a Werner Voss plane, along with a Pfalz D-III is Voss markings. I will try to do something similar to what you have.

You are definitely making some wonderful progress. I like what I see ! Keep it going my friend.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I gave the SSW interior the oil paint treatment today. The “collar” area around the cockpit opening will need cleanup after the fuselage halves are joined. I’ll paint that later.I also assembled the PE seat, engine and accessory parts this morning. The PE seat back is prepainted but doesn’t look very realistic. The paint burned off when I annealed it with my cigar lighter and I’ll give it the acrylic sand/oil paint treatment later today.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Some very nice progress, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@j-healy
    Only saw your dual build now, and from one of the first pics I can see why you mentioned the overscale look of the rib stitching on the SSW. I guess the one in my Camel is a little more subtle tbh.
    Good start, you can’t go wrong using oils for wood painting and you can’t miss also with those great decals. Looking forward to see your progress

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looks great, John (@j-healy). Getting the interior wood to look right is tough. I suspect using oils is one of the only ways to get good results.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    I'm going to chime in here and copy cat what the others have said. I'm especially impressed with the details on the rotary engine. The seat is a definite improvement, and I like how you are staining the wood using various colors.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

I made some progress on the Fokker today. I started assembling some of the prepainted interior parts and the seat. Of course I lost one of the support frames for the seat. It launched into oblivion while I was cutting it from the sprue. You probably can’t see it anyways when it’s installed and it’s not structurally necessary for the model. Nevertheless, I’ll scratch a new one and install it once I’m ready to mount the seat after I finish painting it. I decided to use the plastic instrument panel with decals for the individual instruments. The PE part looks cheesy to my eye. I also decided on a scheme today. I was originally going to do Rudolph Stark’s lilac trimmed machine. I figured it would make a good companion to his shooting star Pfalz that I built over 20 years ago. Can’t do it. Aviattic only supplies lozenge for the wings, which means I had to find a scheme with a painted, early OAW fuselage. The decal dungeon yielded Aeromaster markings for the Seven Swabians, which are appropriate for this model.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @j-healy! Great decision on the scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Some great progress made, John @j-healy
    Nicely chosen scheme.
    That Pfalz does still look superb after so many years.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys. The Pfalz can use a cleaning. I also built it before I knew they had grey painted interiors. Might have to build another one…..

• Profile Photo

More interior progress on the SSW this morning . Once the oils on the seat dry, I can add the belts and bring the fuselage together. I also assembled the Fokker’s axle airfoil today.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Very nice progress on the interior and engine, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Nice work John ! Excellent choice of markings too. I have plans to build this exact same plane eventually for the group, but mine will be in 1/32 scale using a Wingnut Wings kit. Paul Barber was so kind to send me the conversion parts needed that were made by Aviatik, so I grabbed a set of their decals to make the plane. I have done a review of the decals and posted it here on Imodeler.
    Shoot me a PM if you need any info on the plane. I have only uncovered two pictures (possibly 3) of the Seven Swabians.

Looking Good !