1/48 Eduard SSW D. III and Fokker D.VII

Started by John Healy · 96 · 4 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @j-healy! The interior looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

The SSW’s basic airframe all came together today. This is a really nice kit that I shouldn’t have let sit in the stash for about 9 years. The fit of everything is outstanding and will just need a little Mr. Surfacer in a few spots on seams. I might even get some paint on this in the next couple of days.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    I'm very impressed by how these are progressing. They look very nice. I especially liked the photo of your Pfalz D-III. It's very inspirational, and I'm going to be starting on my WNW Pfalz kit very soon. I built the engine for the 1/32 Roden Voss Albatros earlier today, and I was comparing the parts between these two companies. There's a big difference between the two, which I had expected. But not enough to worry about. I'll be posting an update soon, so if you have time please check it out.

I really like what I'm seeing here. Your SSW is coming right along and I can't wait to see some paint on it. You also have picked out an excellent set of markings for the Fokker.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Very nice progress, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Fokker fun! I got the D.VII caught up today. I used the PE instrument panel in the end. A little oil paint improved the wood look. The gauges were much better than the decals provided for the plastic instrument panel. I added the rudder cables with EZline. I forgot to install the intake manifold for the BMW engine before I glued the fuselage halves too. Luckily, I can get it in through the nose. The SSW also got some seam work done this morning. The Mr. Surfacer used on the bottom of the cowling was due to operator error. I didn’t separate the part from the sprue cleanly in those areas and needed to fix it.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

You are really moving quickly, John (@j-healy). The interior of both planes looks very good.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 weeks ago:

Thanks, George. They’re great kits. I used to do a lot of WW1 planes, especially German stuff. I’m really enjoying getting back into the subject area.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks ago:

Excellent job on both, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 weeks ago:

Some really good progress, John @j-healy
    Especially that interior looks amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    WOW ! I'm going to chime in here and echo what the others have stated. Like you, I really enjoy the German stuff too.

These two are looking fantastic . You are on a roll ... I especially like how you added the lozenge fabric on the inside of the cockpit. It looks exactly like it should.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@j-healy some stunning work on the wood and interior lozenge here! The tiny details are looking superb!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

More progress today. Mostly fixing a couple small seams and masking and painting. The SSW was sprayed with Mr. Color #3 red and Tamiya LP-11 silver after priming it with Tamiya white primer from the family size spray bomb. The forward fuselage and stabilizer/elevators of the Fokker were sprayed with a mix of Mr.Color #3 red and Tamiya LP-17 deck brown, which is a Japanese ship color. One of the many nice things about Mr. Color and Tamiya lacquers is the fact that they mix together with no issues. All sprayed 1:1 with Mr. Color leveling thinner. I’ll touch them up tomorrow and add the Fokker’s fuselage blue/gray using Xtracolor enamel Mi-24 Hind blue/gray. Looks as good as any match for this and the tin has been patiently waiting for over 30 years to get some use.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks Louis, thanks Paul!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    You're absolutely welcome. My comments were sincere and well deserved on your part.

I am going to remember your recommendations for the brown color, because it does seem to be a very good match for the Aviatic decal set to build a larger version of "The Seven Swabians", that I have for my WNW Fokker D7 that will eventually be a build journal for this group build.

My eyesight is not nearly what it used to be, so I have been migrating towards the larger scales, especially with biplane models.

I am so impressed with how your kits are turning out, that I had to pull the trigger on a 1/32 scale Roden Siemens Schuckert D-III kit #610. I just couldn't help myself. Your builds have been that inspirational to me, and I sincerely thank you for this. It's also a kit I don't have and I have been thinking about getting one for a while now. It's supposed to arrive on Friday.

In a perfect scenario I would be able to build it as part of our ever growing group. But time will tell if I can get to it or not.

Meanwhile, I commend you on your recent progress. You are on a roll...

Keep it going. These two are coming along nicely.