1/48 Eduard SSW D. III and Fokker D.VII

Started by John Healy · 96 · 4 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I’m looking forward to seeing that 1/32 SSW, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Excellent steps forward, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Very nice work on the painting, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks ago:

I have the basic colors on the Fokker now and finished the oil paint wood treatment around the SSW’s cockpit. The Fokker’s blue-gray was painted with 33 year old, old school Xtracolor. This paint needs time to dry in my experience. I think they changed the formula somewhere along the line because new tins of Xtracolor dry pretty fast for gloss enamels. I’ll be concentrating on the SSW now until it’s finished. Detail painting and lozenge decals tommorow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks ago:

Excellent progress on both, my friend @j-healy! The blue-gray shade looks very nice.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks ago:

Great color choices, John (@j-healy). I love the red fuselage. You are really moving on these two.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Very nicely painted, John @j-healy
    That 33 year old paint still did a good job.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

I didn’t get to the lozenge today, but I did get the engine and seat installed. The cowling and it’s framework require exact placement. You need to remove any paint that may interfere with the assembly. It all fit together very well with a minute gap around the join. I ran a tiny bead of white glue around that and will run some paint into it via capillary action. Photos in my Windsock Datafile show a slender fastening ring around this joint that Eduard doesn’t provide. I’ll replicate that with Bare Metal foil before I attach the upper wing. The seat installed with zero drama.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @j-healy! Great use of white glue!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great progress, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to the metal foil ring.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

I got back to the bench today after the three day holiday weekend here in the US and finally got to try out the Aviattic lozenge. I applied 4 color material on the lower sides of the Fokker’s wings, and 5 color lozenge on the SSW’s undersurfaces. I couldn’t be happier with the result. These decals feature a subtle weave pattern that really looks like the original material. They behaved very well with just warm water. Do note that they are laser printed decals and must be cut to size and applied over a gloss white surface. I’ll hit them with some solvent around the edges later today and apply the top surface lozenge tommorow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)

This is looking great. I really like how the lozenge fabric looks on the models too.

Guess what arrived in the mail today ?

I’m very happy with how it looks in the box. I’m going to try to build it up for the group.

But first I’m going to finish the kits I have started for the Great War group.

Keep it going ! These are looking fantastic and will only get better from here.

Well done.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks, Louis. The Aviattic lozenge is a great product. I like the fact that the rib tapes are pre-printed. Congratulations on obtaining the Roden SSW! It should be spectacular.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Superb result so far, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Those lozenge decals do look great, John @j-healy