1/48 Eduard SSW D. III and Fokker D.VII

Started by John Healy · 96 · 2 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Topside lozenge now on both planes. I’ll touch up a few spots after it dries thoroughly . I didn’t have a lot of faith that it would work on the SSW’s struts, but it went down just fine. Next up will be the guns, prop, and other details on the SSW. The finish line is in sight for that one.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

Looks fantastic so far, my friend @j-healy!
    Indeed, it is awesome that the lozenge worked with the struts!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

They worked perfectly, John @j-healy
    Even on those difficult they look amazing.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks ago:

A little more progress today. Illustrated is an easy way to simulate the laminations on German propellers. Tamiya acrylic sand base sprayed on, draw the laminations with a dark brown pencil, varnish with acrylic clear yellow or orange.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

The propeller looks great, John @j-healy
    A nice technique to create the lamination.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Excellent looking prop, my friend @j-healy! Excellent progress!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Laminated prop looks top notch @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 3 days ago:

All of the decals are on and the landing gear is installed now. Next step will be to assemble the PE Spandau guns and then bring it all together.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Your prop looks awesome, John (@j-healy), as does the rest of the model. Biplanes are scary enough, but they are really scary in 1/48. Your finesse on these two kits is remarkable.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Excellent decaling and ditto prop, my friend @j-healy! Great progress!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I got the Spandau guns finished before bed tonight. I annealed the jackets with a lighter to soften them up before rolling them around a drafting compass tip. I then attached them to the plastic breech/barrel parts with CA glue. I hope tp paint and install them tommorow. Unfortunately, modeling time will be limited this week. Hoping to finish this one by early next week.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

They do look great, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I got some unexpected modeling time today due to the outer bands of Hurricane Francine putting a damper on outdoor activities here on the Gulf coast. I decided to spend it bringing the Fokker a little closer to the finish line. 45-50 year old Humbrol Authentics for the green/mauve painted areas and decals applied.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

The markings on this model are really cool, John (@j-healy), and the machine guns came out perfectly. I have never been very good at shaping PE tubes like those on the machine guns. It looks like annealing is a big part of the process. I hope the storm doesn't cause much disruption.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Riedel said 1 week ago:

Isn’t that Aviattic lozenge a hoot? I love that stuff!

Brian Riedel