1/48 Eduard SSW D. III and Fokker D.VII

Started by John Healy · 96 · 2 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week ago:

Thanks, George. Yes, annealing makes rolling brass pretty easy. Just be sure to use a soft flame like a disposable cigarette lighter for a few seconds. Torch type cigar lighters risk destroying the metal.
    Yes, Brian, the Aviattic lozenge is good stuff. I have to say I prefer the approach they took with Fokker set. Several separate panels for each wing instead of one large piece on the SSW set.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

Looks fantastic so far, my friend @j-healy! Yes, Humbrol authentics were really great!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, John @j-healy
    The finish line is really close now.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Sorry it has been a while since I have logged in here and left you a comment. I just finished reading everything you have posted since my last visit. You have been a very busy man ! It's looking great. Your work is very inspiring too !

I hope you fare well as the storm blows through. It's always good to get some extra unexpected bench time.

I pulled down one of my WNW Fokker D-VII's early this morning, and also the Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert as well. They have been placed on the top of the "to build" pile now.

I will be building mine up as the exact same two versions that you are doing here. I just noticed that you used the 5 color lozenge on the SS-DIII and the 4 color on the D-VII. I have the 1/32 set of Aviatik decals for the Seven Swabians to use on the Fokker. Going from memory here, I think it also includes the lozenge for the wings in the Aviatik decal set.

Paul Barber sent me the resin to convert my WNW Fokker early kit to the correct version that the 7 Swabians was. The Aviatik replacement resin parts have new side engine panels with different styled cooling louvers. I believe it was an OAW built machine, but I don't remember for sure. I did an article here on Imodeler for the Aviatik decal review. They really look great, and especially on your Fokker.

You are nailing it !

Other things I recently ordered were two sets of the Quinta Studios German lozenge rib tapes, a set of the pink and a set of the light blue rib tapes to be used on these two builds, and possibly the WNW Pfalz D-IIIa. The cool thing I liked about them was they actually have rib stitching visible on the tapes.

The closer you get to finishing up your builds, the more it makes me want to get going on mine... But first I will finish what I have started for this group before I start something else. I'm running out of storage room. Space is a premium right now at the Gardner / Idflieg Iron Werke. GIIW for short... 😉

Man you are doing some outstanding work. I am taking a bunch of notes on how you are doing things. This will be of tremendous help when I get busy with mine. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post such detailed photos and descriptions.

I look forward to your next installment. Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 days, 22 hours ago:

Sounds like you’ve been busy too, Louis. Yes the Swabians was an OAW with the small punched out louvers. Looking forward to seeing yours in the bigger scale.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 days, 22 hours ago:

I installed the guns, struts and top wing today. Everything fit flawlessly. It’s an excellent kit that should be built more often. The only bump in the road today was the fact that I dropped the model upside down on my work mat after installing the cabane struts. The left one fractured at the fuselage attachments. CA to the rescue. Time to get the paint out and take care of some more touch ups. The only thing left after that is rigging and a clear coat.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 days, 22 hours ago:

What did we do before there was superglue to come to the rescue, John (@j-healy)? This is still one of the best paint schemes I have seen in a long time. Looking forward to having the top wing on.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 days, 21 hours ago:

Thanks, George! Who doesn’t like a red airplane?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 days, 18 hours ago:

Excellent so far, my friend @j-healy! Almost crossing the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 days, 14 hours ago:

Amazing result already, John @j-healy
    Nearly there.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 days, 9 hours ago:

This looks really great John (@j-healy). Really top notch work here. Scary feeling when you realize the part is not in your hands and is headed for some rapid stop somewhere. Time seems to slow down when this happens. I remember a similar feeling earlier this year when I fell off a ladder and waited to hit the ground. Weird. (I'm okay by the way).

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 day, 3 hours ago:

Ladders are tricky, Carl. Glad you’re ok!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 day, 3 hours ago:

I rigged the plane with stainless steel wire this morning. I couldn’t find my regular draftsmen’s dividers and ran down to Harbor Freight to purchase the large item you see in the photos. Hey, it worked! I’ll give everything a clear coat and attach the prop in the next couple of days. More pics and I’ll post it on the main page. Now to finish the Fokker.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 day ago:

John,
    That is one very nice SSW D111,paint work is exceptional. The stainless wire rigging looks great, how do you keep tension on it, do you measure and cut it exactly to length? or is there a secret method?

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 day ago:

Measure and cut, Ian. Secure with CA. It actually adds a little strength to the model too, especially the landing gear.