1/48 Sopwith Camel Comic, Eduard

Started by Csaba · 32 · 4 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

I have been away from building model kits for a while, I did not even visit my favorite modeling sites, including iModeler. Life happened, had to find new job, and had to solve major challenges in my private life. Modeling suddenly was at the bottom of my priority list, and even if I tried to do something, I felt nothing. It was time to take a break.
    However, now I am kind of back on track, and it would be great to build something. I have seen the invitation to the group in my inbox, and decided to take a look in my stash. I found this abandoned project, an Eduard Sopwith Camel Comic in "Profipack" edition. As I recall, I bought on a sale for a very attractive price. The kit is amazing, the quality is perfect, razor thing edges, sharp details, great marking options.
    I started the kit, removed a few components, did a dry fit, and probably that was it. Based on my notes on the instructions, I decided to go with marking option D, but to be honest, I don´t have any memory making that decision.

So, this is my project - hopefully I will finish it in the next 4 years...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

Welcome back! Nice to see another Camel being built.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Glad to see you on iModeler again and being back on track, Csaba @pikofix
    You have chosen a very nice project, looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Glad to see you back, my friend @pikofix! Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 month ago:

@pikofix
    Csaba, looking forward to see your progress with this one.
    I am building the F.1 version for this GB and also have this kit in the stash. I eventually might build it also in the future and if the current F.1 doesn’t end up a mess 😂

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 1 month ago:

Great choice Csaba, nice to have you back!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month ago:

I have the kit and you are right - it's really nice.

Nice to see you back. Did you get to Denmark? I remember the last time we talked that's where you and your wife were headed.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

Thank you guys, it’s good to be back!

I took my favourite airplane theme mug, and did some research on the subject. I found a recently made video, where exactly this kit was used.
    It is indeed a problem free kit, but it requires careful planning of the steps from the beginning. I think I will also use the pre made holes for rigging, with the tiniest turnbuckles I can make with elastic thread, even though it will not be an accurate representation of the Camel’s rigging. It’s a compromise between accuracy and ease of building the kit.

This is the last part of that video series - this is a must to watch, if you plan to build the Eduard Camel

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Good decision to use the premade holes, my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo

Those premade holes will definitely make it easier, Csaba @pikofix
    Beautiful mug you have on your desk.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

Csaba (@pikofix)
    Welcome back ! I'm happy to see you have accepted the invitation, and even more so that you are building this Camel. I understand how life occasionally gets in the way of our hobby. There was a time when I couldn't build anything because I didn't have any spare time. This lasted for quite some time... Years.

I can't wait to watch you build this one. It looks like a very nice kit.

Welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

-Look, an old airplane! A lot of old airplanes on the box!
    -Yes, it´s mine.
    -Can I take a look at your old airplane?
    -Only the parts are in the box, I need to assembly it.
    -Still, I want to see it! Oh wow, that´s cool! So many tiny things!

I had this discussion with my 4 years old earlier today. They have never seen me building models, I do it when they are not around, otherwise my one hour "me time" would quickly turn into a disaster. The only thing they see with his sister are the finished models in the cabinet, and those are "Dad´s toys and we can´t play with them".

I let them play Lego for now, models can wait. 🙂

Anyway, about the Camel... I looked through my notes and now I remember why I decided to go with version D, from the Australian Flying Corps. It is a simple, clean scheme, but at the same time, there are very different surfaces and colors on that tiny plane. There is clear doped linen on the lower surfaces, natural metal at the engine, wood and colored dope on the fuselage and upper surfaces.
    The PC10 dope story is a rabbit hole - I spent a few hours reading about the early technology, and it is indeed a very interesting topic. The color is a khaki/olive green color, but the actual hue varied a lot because of a wide variation of varnish, pigments, suppliers and application methods. These early dopes were sensitive to sunlight, and weathered quickly. The pigment was heavy, and clear dope was applied to the lower surfaces to reduce weight.
    So, I have a chance to try a lot of different techniques on a small plane. Maybe I even try to paint the roundels instead of the decals - the only challenge is the narrow, outer white band, the others should be problem free. Most probably I will make a few test shots (masking is fun, see my last project here).

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

I found this page , discussing PC10 and modern paint matches. Take a look, it is very interesting.
    I remember one of our old plane in the flying club, a surprisingly young (1989 built) An-2. It had an olive drab finish, but the color changed dramatically in different lighting conditions. That plane could be seen as flat green, olive drab or glossy brown on the same day. Probably it was the same with the PC10 covered RFC planes.

I picked Vallejo paints from this page for a weathered Camel. Let´s see what do I have in my box, I believe I might have some of these colors lying around.

Green Brown
    Middle Stone
    US Olive Drab
  • Profile Photo

A very interesting topic and website in general, Csaba @pikofix
    Looking forward to how the Camel will turn out.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Csaba (@pikofix)
    Thank you for posting these links. I have bookmarked it.

PC-10 discussions are just like the ones on US Army Olive Drab... There are so many variations out there. This is an excellent article and I especially like how it uses the various color values like the Methuen and Federal Standards numbers (if they are the same). The Methuen book is the most accurate I think. I have a Federal Standards book, so I can use it to get close enough.

Like our friend John has said, I too am looking forward to seeing how your Camel turns out.

Thanks again !