1/48 Sopwith Camel Comic, Eduard

Started by Csaba · 32 · 4 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Indeed, color shades can lead to long discussions, my friend @pikofix! Great research so far!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Welcome back Csaba @pikofix ! Love the story about your 4 year old. Enjoy your build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Looking forward to your build, Csaba @pikofix. Getting expert help from a young assistant is always a plus.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I had to use an almost forgotten skill - fixing ejector pin marks. The kit has two pin marks on each fuselage side, one front, and one where the fuel tank was in the original Camel. In the Comic, the fuel tank and cockpit were swapped, and in the model the pin mark is not covered by the fuel tank anymore.
    After addressing the pin mark, I used AMMO One shot primer, my new favorite base layer. After that I used what I had at home for the various small parts and fuselage, mainly Vallejo acrylics.
    I almost broke my airbrush after cleaning it yesterday evening and leaving it connected to the compressor overnight. I believe there was a small amount of paint between the paint cup and the body. Today morning I was unable to separate the two and when I tried to use brute force, I cracked the paint cup... I took a deep breath, put the whole thing in isopropyl alcohol (what I should have been doing instead of forcing it...), made lunch, installed a new roller shade for the kids, went for a run and tried again. It worked, but the paint cup has an ugly crack on its edge.

The run helped to clear my head a bit, even though I was tired. I spent yesterday at the Cliffs of Stevns, hiking and watching the migrating birds from Sweden, crossing the Baltic sea to Denmark, and continue their journey to the south. I think all the hiking was a bit too much, I could feel it today in my legs during my run.

Anyway, the small bits and fuselage are ready for detailing with a paintbrush. I plan to use acrylics for details, and oils for weathering.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

@pikofix - for PC10, every subcontractor did something different. The real color is the same as WW2 RAF Dark Green. which was made from the original PC10 formula. You can do anything from green to olive drab to brown and nobody can tell you that you are wrong.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Great progress, my friend @pikofix! Hopefully, all is good with your airbrush despite the crack.
    You certainly had an enjoyable day out, helped a lot clearing your mind.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Looking good, Csaba!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

A pity about the airbrush, Csaba @pikofix
    Results are great as are the images you made during this hike.
    I agree with the fact that running clears your mind, my goal is to run twice a week, approximately 10km each run.
    We are planning to visit Denmark, likely in October. Will definitely add Stevns Klint to the todo list.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Thanks guys, baby steps, as usual with my projects. 🙂
    I made a small paint session today, just to get some oils over the internal parts and the engine. On the engine I used AK true metal brass - I don’t want to spend money on copper paint, just because of a small pipe behind each cylinder, hidden below the engine cover. I might try to mix it with oil paints for the second coat tomorrow to match the copper color. These AK wax based metal paints are great for small parts, but I struggled with larger parts. According to online forums, other modellers had the same issue.
    I also noticed a mistake I made long time ago. It seems I glued the ailerons on the wings without checking the parts and instructions properly, and I mixed up two of them. Now I can see that the control horns are on the wrong side. That mistake would also explain why I had a small fitting issue… Luckily Eduard provided photo etched replacement, so it is not a fatal mistake. But it is still annoying to make such a rookie mistake after decades of modelling.

@tcinla yes, it is an interesting topic, and my conclusion was the same. Use something similar to olive drab and it will be close enough to the real thing.
    @johnb I was simply stupid. Everyday stress is not my friend when I try to build models, and wanted to take a shortcut, even though I knew it is a terrible idea.
    I hope you will enjoy your holiday here, but you will need some luck to get decent weather in October. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

You are not the only one making rookie mistakes, my friend @pikofix 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Finally, a real WIP update. I am almost ready to close the fuselage. The instrument panel needs a few scratch built detail, decals, and final washes. I also need to make a decision whether I want to make the control lines - these are visible through the cockpit opening. Nothing complicated, just a simplified wiring, disappearing under the seat.
    I painted the cockpit with acrylics, mainly Vallejo and AK. The wooden parts got the usual simple treatment, acrylic base, with oil filters and colored Tamiya clear on the top. The internal rigging is made with flexible threads, I think it is from Uschi, but I don´t have the original packaging anymore.
    The engine looks quite good, but as expected, I broke the few pipes from the rear. Eduard made that as one, complex plastic part, and it was very difficult to remove it from the sprues without damaging it. I took all the necessary precautions, but I broke one pipe, and together with another one, it went missing during the painting session.
    Luckily, that part of the engine can be hidden under the cowl.

So far, I like the kit, it is easy to build, has good quality and shows nice details.

This build made me realize how crazy that war was. Let´s put the craziness of the Camel into modern days and make a simple mental experiment with cars - imagine that you are drafted to the military. You get a car, and your task is to find the enemy trucks in complete darkness. Your car has no brakes, and the engine operates with two throttle settings, pedal to metal and complete cut off. If you are lucky, you get the luxury model with an intermediate power setting, where you can turn off a few cylinders for a short while, but overusing this luxury feature might break the engine or could start a fire. You constantly need to adjust the fuel mixture, otherwise the engine will stall. The engine spits oil everywhere and its huge torque makes the car constantly turn to the right, and you have no way to compensate it. If you take your hands off the wheel for a second, the car will break to the right. And by the way, the trucks have gunners, trying to kill you and your car provides no protection at all.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @pikofix! Loved your thoughts on the craziness of the Camel!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Impressive progress, Csaba @pikofix
    It will be a pity to close up the fuselage and hide those details.
    A nice comparison done

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 days, 8 hours ago:

It´s time to close the fuselage!

I managed to do the control wires in a simplified form because of the small scale. For a moment, I considered doing the fuel lines and other piping, but those would be almost invisible after closing the fuselage. I also considered the pre-painted photoetched instrument panel, but it looked very two dimensional. I know that Eduard started as a photoetch company, but in these days they manage to make better injection molded details than metal.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 days, 21 hours ago:

Really nice work on that interior, @pikofix. Very inspirational work going on here.