1:32nd scale Albatros D.V

Started by Mike Norris · 47 · 2 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hi Louis,
    The wood effect is basically:
    Airbrush prime with 'AK Interactive' Grey (AK758)
    Airbrush with 'Tamiya' Desert Yellow (XF59)
    Brush on oil paint - 'Windsor & Newton' Griffin Alkyd oil paint (Raw Sienna)
    Lightly brush in direction of wood grain with brush very slightly damp with Odourless Thinners (Mig) or White Spirit
    Should dry overnight.

Darker wood I use Burnt Umber or similar.

Mike

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

That's a really fine and detailed looking interior, Mike @sandbagger
    Looks amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Interior looks fantastic, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Mike Norris (@sandbagger)
    Thank you for the detailed description on how you achieve the plywood look. I also went to your website and browsed around for quite some time. A fellow could spend days there... hours at a minimum.

You have some AMAZING work on display there. It's very impressive and the number of various WW1 aircraft you have built is equally impressive.

You have convinced me to go ahead and drag out a 1/32 scale Roden Albatros D-III kit and also a 1/32 Wingnut Wings Pfalz D-III. I have plans to build both up as aircraft that were flown by Lt. Werner Voss, so please watch for it to show up here as a new article / build journal for the Great War group. They should look good sitting next to my Voss F-1 triplane I built using the ancient 1/28 scale Revell kit. As luck would have it, once I completed this one, Meng came out with their 1/32 kit that allows you to build the same thing only in 1/32.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to reading your next installment. You are well on your way to having another masterpiece on your hands. Well done, and please keep it going.

The details you have incorporated into this Albatros are amazing.

Take care. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Your interior looks amazing, Mike (@sandbagger). Getting the right effect to simulate wood and canvas is difficult, but you have mastered the process. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hi all,
    The fuselage is now closed up.
    The kit supplied machine guns were replaced with the ‘Spandau’ 08/15 extended loading handle (14-32061) from 'Gaspatch'.
    These needed to be modified to allow them to locate correctly in the fuselage front/rear gun mounts,

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Those guns look really excellent, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Ditto from me, Mike (@sandbagger), the replacement guns looks amazing. The parts must be very thin to get this sort of detail.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Those guns do look very realistic, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month ago:

Hi all
    This aircraft had what seems to be a mirror, flare pistol and flare rack located on the right side of the fuselage, just forward from the cockpit opening
    The flare pistol appears to have been mounted on a supported tube, so that the pilot could load a flare, lock then fire the pistol (directed away to the rear right of the aircraft)
    The breach of the pistol looks to be open, not closed and locked.
    Possibly the pistol is of the 'Hebel M1894' type

To represent this I used a 'Wingnut Wings' flare pistol from my 'spares' and cut the barrel off and pinned it in position using 0.2 mm diameter rod
    The mounting was made using a combination of 1.4 and 0.8 diameter tube with 0.4 mm diameter rod

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Great addition of some really cool details, Mike (@sandbagger). Great use of the photo to figure out what needs to be added.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Great improvement, Mike @sandbagger
    The flare pistol is a perfect copy of the one in the picture.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Fantastic detailing job as always, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month ago:

Love your detail work Mike, engine, cockpit machine guns flare pistol, it all adds up for a great model. Have used the gas patch guns before and have had to modify all to make fit. they can be rather delicate.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month ago:

Hi all,
    The kit has transverse panels on the underside of the fuselage nose.
    However, some early Albatros D.Vs had longitudinal, not transverse, fuselage underside panels.
    My problem was I couldn't confirm this as there is no photographic evidence of my build, serial number 2006/17.
    Although I searched, it never occurred to me to look for similar production batch photographs.
    Thankfully another modeler found photographs of serial number 2005/17.
    That same batch aircraft clearly shows longitudinal, not transverse, underside panels.
    It also seems to confirm that the batch was fitted with just the lower wing drag wires and did not include the drag wires for the upper wing, which later aircraft had,

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.