1:32nd scale Phönix D.I

Started by Mike Norris · 76 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hi all,
    Despite building the Albatros D.V, I've decided to start another build.
    I have the recently released Phönix D.I resin kit from 'Lukgraph'.
    I'm impressed with the quality of the 3D printed parts, including the fuselage halves.
    The struts have been printed hollow so the supplied metal rods can be inserted all the way for additional strength.
    The major parts are resin cast and of good quality.

The aircraft I'm building is Phönix D.I, Serial No:J.12 (previously A.110), operated by the Austro-Hungarian ‘Kriegsmarine’ (Naval) from Abwehrflugstation Zaule, Trieste, 1918.

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Sounds like a quality kit of an interesting type, Neil!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Another wonderful entry of what looks to be an awesome kit, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A very interesting kit, Mike @sandbagger
    Never heard about this aircraft before, so I'm definitely interested in following this build.

• Profile Photo
    Vince Baker said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A note on Lukgraph: currently building the 1/32 scale Friedrchshafen FF.33L. It is a great model, high quality, very well detailed and the parts, both resin and 3-D are well executed. I have the option with the naval hex decals, and Lukgraphs are every bit as good as Aviattic. So far it has been a lot of fun to build.

My next Lukgraph is the 1/32 scale Lohner Type L. This one looks to be even better quality.
    I highly recommend their product's and no one should be hesitant about working with resin, I was and this has allayed my hesitation.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Mike Norris (@sandbagger)
    Thank you for starting another project for the group. This one looks to be a great addition. I have never built a resin model, but if I did, it would be one from this company. I remember seeing an illustration of one of these aircraft in a book that was in our school library. They didn't make many of the full sized ones. I was always impressed by the wing strut arrangements. Very sturdy.

I'll be watching for your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Hi all
    I've made a start on the fuselage parts
    The 3D printed parts, which includes the fuselage halves, is of a high standard with no visible surface layer lines
    However, the very finely printed detail, such as those on the pilots instrument panel, must be handled with care, to avoid crushing/breaking them.
    Also, take care when removing the parts from their print support trees, as being the same colour, it's easy to cut through a component thinking it's a support tree.

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

These parts look really excellent, my friend @sandbagger, especially the instrument panel!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I have heard of Lukgraph, Mike (@sandbagger), but didn't realize that they make all-resin kits. They look like they are extremely well-made. Looking forward to following along to see how this one goes.

• Profile Photo

Looking very nice, Mike @sandbagger
    Especially that instrumentation panel contains lots of details.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Great choice of aircraft Mike, I shall follow your build with interest as I have done one resin kit and it frightened me off resin kits [1/48 Winjeel. ] Have had some good reports on the Lukgraph kits and have been tempted but the price and previous experience has scared me away. Shall see how yours goes and then maybe make the investment.

• Profile Photo

Hi all
    The engine is test fitted now
    I had to carry out a lot of adjustments to the engine support frames
    It'll all be detailed when I release my usual PDF build log on my website, once the model is finished

But in summery

All three frames have no locations in the fuselage sides and are simple butt jointed, which makes aligning the frames difficult
    All three support frames were too wide to allow the fuselage halves to close up
    The main bulkhead frame did not have corner cut-outs to fit over the upper lower longeron's on the fuselage sides
    When I test fitted the engine, I found that the fine detail printed on the lower sides of the engine (magnetos, housings, carburettor components and pipes) fouled the top edge of the fuselage right side
    Also the engine was tilted up at the front, as the front frame is too tall

However, I managed to sort these anomalies out eventually

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looks great, Mike (@sandbagger). Really detailed. Hopefully you will be able to pre-paint the engine before adding it to the model.

• Profile Photo

Excellent looks so far, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Looking good already, Mike @sandbagger