1:32nd scale Phönix D.I

Started by Mike Norris · 76 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

The fuselage closed up nicely, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Hi all,
    When the upper and lower wing halves were laid on a flat surface and viewed from their leading edges (front), I found that the wings varied noticeably in thickness.
    The upper left wing half was thicker than the upper right wing half.
    The lower right wing was thicker than the lower left wing.
    Given how pronounced the different thickness of the wings was, I decided the only option was to remove, as necessary, all of the surface detail then re-profile the wings.
    Apart from the upper wing sections, lower wings and tailplanes, all other flight surfaces and the fin are intended to be 'butt' glued.
    Being resin held with CA adhesive makes for a weak joint.
    Therefore I pinned them all.
    Only the 1.2 mm diameter Steel rod is supplied in the kit for supporting the wings.
    For the other parts I used 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 diameter Brass rod and 0.7 mm diameter Brass tube.
    Care is needed when drilling into the thin resin parts to avoid the resin from breaking away,

Mike

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Nice catch on the thickness of the wings, Mike (@sandbagger), but a real problem to fix. Butt joints are always bad, especially with resin. They are my personal nemesis, not only because they are a bad way to join things, but also because I can never get the pins that I add to support things to match the holes that I drill in the adjoining structure.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Not that easy to fix those differences in thickness, Mike @sandbagger
    Great work on creating those joints.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great catch, my friend @sandbagger! Excellent job so far, as well!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Wow, I disappeared for a week and this happens! What a subject! @sandbagger this is excellent work - always wanted to see a Lukgraph kit WIP. Loving it!

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Hi all,
    It was necessary to add support rods to more parts.
    Some parts were again only 'butt' joints.
    I've added support rods to the tailplane supports, landing gear axle and struts and the fuselage cabane struts.
    These rods were a combination of 0.4 and 1.0 mm diameter Brass rod.

Now onto the interplane struts,

Mike

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Great work Mike, pinning all those struts would be a difficult job to get them all aligned correctly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Excellent job installing those rods, my friend @sandbagger! For sure those parts will be better supported now.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Nice work on the rods, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Hi all,
    The upper wing has been test fitted onto the cabane and interplane struts.
    The hollowed out interplane struts need to be drilled out at the bottom where print resin filled the hollow.
    Also I used 1.0 mm diameter Brass rod again instead of the supplied 0.8 mm diameter rod (too small).
    During test fitting, I had to resort to using 'UHU' White Tack to hold the struts in position and elastic bands to keep the wings together.
    In addition, the aircraft had two tubes or struts between the engine side panels and the underside of the centre section of the upper wing.
    Although the kit instructions show these parts, there is no reference to the part or fitting them.
    As I couldn’t ascertain what these were for, I chose to make them from tube.
    Slots were cut into the engine side panels and recesses drilled into the upper wing centre section.
    Brass tube of 1.0 mm diameter was used to make the tubes,

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Hi all,
    UPDATE
    Those 'tubes' are in fact auxiliary cabane struts.
    Most likely to support the weight of the over wing radiator,

Mike

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Great progress, Mike @sandbagger
    Nice testfitting with the Patafix holding all together.
    Besides holding the weight, likely the the coolant ran through those pipes as well.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Hi John,
    The 'tubes' were actually support struts for the radiator on the upper wing.
    There are coolant pipes from the engine to the radiator that have yet to be fitted,

Mike

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @sandbagger! Great use of Patafix!