Bristol M.1C 1/32

Started by IAN Convey · 30 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thought that I would build this monoplane as monoplanes were in the minority at the time of the Great War.
    The kit is a Special Hobby 1/32 kit and I shall build it in colours of RAF 150 Squadron stationed in Macedonia autumn of 1918.
    The Squadron was recorded as having shot down 1 Albatros DV and 2 LVG machines but the chances of aerial combat were limited in that theatre . They were also sometimes used for ground support but the war ended before its full potential could be found.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    This looks like another great build ! It's an excellent subject, and you are so correct about the monoplanes being rare.

I have always liked this Bristol monoplane. I have plans to eventually draw up some plans for one in 1/6 scale, so that I can someday build a flying RC model of one.

Very cool ! Thanks for starting another one for the group. Your Wolseley Viper engine turned out nicely. This Great War just keeps getting better all the time.

I'll be watching for the next installment. Thanks again !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @firelockg! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Great entry of one of those 'rare' mono-planes during WWI, Ian @firelockg
    Definitely looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month ago:

Due to tendonitis I have had to curtail my model building for awhile, so will post what has been done to date. Was hoping to have it almost finished as there is a Roden 1/32 Sopwith Triplane waiting in the stash.

Louis there are many scale RC Bristol monoplanes on utube, they seem to be a favourite of the RC modellers.

pic1 painted all the wood with 2 coats Vallejo natural wood grain prior to coarse brushing burnt sienna oil paint on all parts as per pic2 .Some cockpit parts fitted and the engine built. Hope to continue soon.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent progress and really nice painting results, my friend @firelockg! Sorry to hear about your tendonitis, hope it passes quickly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, I shall get there eventually.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Nice work on the wood painting, Ian @firelockg
    I do hope you will recover quickly from the tendonitis.

• Profile Photo

It's a pain (deliberate pun ) but getting better thank you John. The way I paint the wood takes a while but I think it turns out pretty good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    I wish you a speedy recovery. You don't realize how often you use a part of your body, like a hand or arm / leg, until you injure it. Then it becomes very apparent how much you do.

I like how you paint the wood parts. I recently picked up some various wood tone oil paints to try out on several of my builds. This will be a first time for me, as I usually make a wash with oils and that's about it. I have never painted with them on a model before. Paint by number canvas I have though so I am familiar how they work.

Do you put a small amount on a paper towel and let it absorb some of the oil, or do you use them straight from the tube ?

I like how the interior looks. I will be doing something similar soon with my SPAD XIII and Roden Albatros D-III.

You are correct about the Bristol being a favorite with RC modelers. It's a neat looking plane that is streamlined and ahead of it's time.

What markings have you picked out ? I remember seeing an illustration of one many years ago, that had the fuselage covered in red, white and blue checkered squared. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

I'm looking forward to your next installment. Take it easy meanwhile, and get well first.

Take care.

• Profile Photo

Louis the tendonitis makes it uncomfortable to sit for to long , so have moved to my workbench which is for standing, so far so good.

The oil paint is put on some paper towel and let stand for 10 minutes then I use a stiff cheap bristle brush cut short then lots of brush strokes with minimum paint until it looks right.

Shall do the Bristol in the markings of 150 Sqd. stationed in Macedonia 1918 .

Would love to do it in the colours of James McCubben's personnel aircraft but only have a B&W photo.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    Thanks for the information on how you use the oils. I will definitely put this to work on the Werner Voss Albatros soon.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 weeks ago:

Great looking interior, Ian.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Still got a way to go yet John, seat, rigging then putting 2 sides together, that's the fun bit.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@firelockg Ian, looking great. I have to say, with respect to Hobby Boss, that this would have been my dream WNW release. I kept waiting and waiting. Looks like this edition, in your hands, is going to be a beauty!