Fokker D.VII in Dutch Service: Revell 1/28

Started by George R Blair Jr · 13 · 4 days ago · 1/28, Fokker D.VII, Netherlands, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I was reading an article in a magazine a few nights ago and found a really interesting article on the Fokker D.VII. I was interested to discover that the D.VII was used by a number of countries after WW1, some planes flying into the late 1930s. I have been dragging the ancient Revell 1/28 Fokker D.VII around for many years, so I thought it might be a good time to build this beast. I have a real fear of anything with more than one wing, and I actually have a doctor's excuse that allows me to not to build anything with multiple wings. Since this is a rather large kit, I thought this might be a good opportunity to try building a biplane with rigging.

First, a little background. Anthony Fokker, originally from Holland, designed and built many of the best German fighters in WW1. The Fokker D.VII came out in 1918, the last year of the war. It soon built a reputation as being a sturdy machine with great flying characteristics. It was so successful that it earned the distinction of being the only airplane specifically mentioned in the Treaty of Versailles. The treaty required that all of the D.VII's to be destroyed or turned over to allied countries. After the war, Anthony Fokker moved his factory to Holland and began manufacturing D.VII's again. These planes were sold to a number of countries after the war. Holland already had several D.VII's which had been flown to Dutch airfields by defecting pilots or were forced down in combat. Following the war, Holland bought 20 of the planes for the air force, and another 6 planes for use in the Netherlands East Indies. Some of these machines were used into the late 1930s. There were several modifications made to these planes, including the addition of a 185 hp BMW engine.

This kit isn't as old as you might think it is, having been produced in 1991. The 1/28 Dr.1 dates back to 1957. The casting and detail on this model is actually pretty good. I don't know a lot about these early planes, so I don't plan to do a lot of updating and scratchbuilding on this build. I will be glad just to get the plane painted and rigged, but I also hope to do a little work on the interior. I will need to create painting masks for all of the markings, so that will also add to the fun of this model. I also hope to find some files to print some replacement parts on my 3D printer, but so far, I have only been able to find and print some replacement Spandau machine guns. I hope to get some work done on this model in the next few days. Cheers.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @gblair! Great that you downloaded the WnW instructions, they will be very helpful. Nice that there's no plywood inside. Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

That's a great entry, George @gblair
    I do like the chosen scheme a lot 🙂
    Those MG's are really beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I think this will be a good first biplane kit. The machine guns are very fragile. The print files were a much smaller scale, so the cooling jacket got really thin when I scaled the guns to 1/28.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Those Spandaus are outstanding, George.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 1 day ago:

This is actually a terrible first biplane kit, @gblair. The upper wing is completely wrong, with the outer wing molded literally upside down - the wing upper surface should be flat, with the dihedral on the lower surface - the opposite of what this worthless kit provides. The fuselage is a quarter inch - not talking scale, literally! - too deep.

Don't take my word for it, go google reviews of this kit. There's a reason you don't see any built up.

If you want to do a D.VII, get an Eduard 1/48 kit. It's at least accurate and molded so the parts fit.

This kit is why Revell has not released any 1/28 WW1 kits since this was released. It is Revell at it's absolute lowest and worst. It's the worst possible first biplane kit - it will put you off WW1 models forever. Use it for what it is - a doorstop.

This is what Spiros had to say about it at Modeling Madness, and he was being polite:

The kit has developed a justified reputation of having a number of inaccuracies, including the key areas of the aft fuselage area, which is too deep and wide (it is stated that the fuselage issue was due to Revell taking measures from a restored machine that had emerged from a twin seater modification) and the wing shape that has too much downward curve. Fixing the above issues might require some effort from the modeler.

You have been warned.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Thanks, John (@j-healy). They are extremely fragile, so they will be difficult to use.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I guess look before you leap would have applied here, Tom (@tcinla), if I had not jumped in without looking. I need to rethink this particular kit. I don't really need this kind of challenge where I will need to do some really major corrections. I do have a Roden D.VII that I could switch to without any problem. I need to go out to the garage and see what I have out in the stash and see what other options I have.

Thanks for keeping me out of trouble. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 days, 11 hours ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    I think the Spandaus look amazing ! You're mastering the 3D printer. I will be enjoying this one. By the way, the Fokker D-VII is my favorite WW1 aircraft ever. I'm not bragging, but I do know quite a bit about the type. You have made an excellent choice, even though it has some problems that were mentioned above.

In the end it still looks like a Fokker.

My very first biplane model I built as a kid was the ancient 1/48 scale Aurora kit that was molded in a dark green color. The plane was on fire on the box art.

I have built the Revell 1/28 kit. This is a picture of mine. I built mine shortly after I returned to the hobby. It was one of the last kits my dear old dad bought for me. It's beginning to show it's age. The main wing does indeed have an inverted anhedral molded into it, instead of dihedral. It is the lower wing surface that should have the dihedral built into it. The upper half of the wing surface is supposed to be flat... but on the Revell upper wing, it droops, while the lower wing is straight. This is exactly opposite of how it should be.

I thought I had simply built mine wrong. You might be able to build the upper wing while keeping the top section flat against the board, gluing it a little at a time until you get it done.

If you decide to build it up that would be cool... warts and all. Otherwise if you decide not too, I understand that as well. The end choice is yours, so do as you please, and have some fun with it. Either way it will be just fine.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 days, 7 hours ago:

@gblair - Roden D.VII is an excellent kit. A bit more effort needed than the Eduard, but the result is very good.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 days, 4 hours ago:

Hi Louis (@lgardner) and Tom (@tcinla). I have a late model D.VII by Roden that I plan to do instead of the Revell. I think the late model will match the Dutch version much better. It looks like a really nice kit, even if it is a biplane.

Your Revell D.VII looks great, Louis. I think the red paint schemes on this plane look great. I plan to save mine for sometime later, and then I can tackle it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 days, 14 hours ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Thank you for the compliments on my Revell D-7. I think they had another release of this kit a few years after my Dad got me this one. Going from memory, on the later version's box top, it had the Fokker wearing mainly Blue and Green. I think it might have had some lozenge on the wings as well. Mine is the exact same kit that you have. However I messed up the chevron decals at the time I was adding them. So I simply left them off. Now I would likely try to spray them on. I like to go back and look at my earlier builds occasionally to see how much my building styles have changed over the years.

No matter what you decide to do here, I will be cheering you along from the sidelines... and sometimes even from the cheap seats !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 days, 14 hours ago:

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I have a late model D.VII from Roden sitting on my workbench, ready to go. It's not 1/28, but you can't have everything. The later version will be closer to the Dutch version, anyway.