Nieuport Ni-17, 1/48, Eduard Profipack

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 66 · 3 days ago · Eduard, Ni-17, Nieuport, Profipack
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

First of all, thanks a lot Louis @lgardner to start this amazing group build.

With so many wonderful entries already in this groupbuild, I felt the need to present my upcoming build as well.

With two builds on the bench currently it might take however some time before I get started.

My choice is the Eduard ProfiPack 1/48 of the Nieuport Ni-17.

The only experience with bi-planes I have are a Henschell Hs123 and a Supermarine Walrus so this Nieuport will still be a challenge.

When opening the box, all is typically Eduard, a nice colorful instruction booklet with some history about the aircraft, three sprues, a tiny windscreen, a photo etch sheet, masks and a decal sheet for various schemes. Currently the preferred scheme is the N1530 aircraft flown by Lt. Georges Guynemer.

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

One thing to take note of @johnb - the landing gear legs are 1/8 inch too long. Clip off the upper end and all is well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to it!
    Thanks for the heads up, my friend @tcinla, as I have the same mold, hoping to tackle it some time.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, thanks a lot for pointing that out, Tom. Should be doable to correct this.
    @fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb great choice. Looking forward to seeing it take shape! Beautiful plane!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent choice, John. I built a lot of Aurora and Revell Nieuports when I was a kid.

• Profile Photo

@yellow10, thank you, Paul. I was thinking about building it as shown on the boxart, likely too complex for my skills, let's first build the aircraft itself.
    @j-healy, thank you, John. I do like those bi-planes a lot, but those complex multi-wing aircraft hold me back in building them.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    You have picked out a good one ! A Nieuport that was flown by Lt. Georges Guynemer is a great place to start. I don't think the rigging is going to be too hard on this model.

Like John Healy, I remember building an Aurora N-17 as a little kid. Mine had rockets on the V struts and was molded in a silver and black plastic.
    Of course I slammed it together in an afternoon and didn't even bother with painting it... It had decals on it though. Then I flew a lot of missions in it running around in our front yard. I was the youngest member of the Lafayette Escadrille that day. I had previously checked out a book from our Elementary School library that was all about the planes and pilots that flew in the "Great War".

However, if the neighbors were watching, they must have thought I needed mental help... 😉

Thanks for starting this journal, and I look forward to your next steps.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. Seems like you had a wonderful time with that Aurora N-17, definitely no mental help needed. To my opinion we had so much more imagination at that time than what the youngsters have these days.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb - We did! We did!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

The fog of time just cleared for me. The Aurora kits were Nieuport 11s. Hawk did the Nie 17. Built a couple of those too.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

John H,

You are absolutely correct about that. I had forgotten that part. My Aurora kit was indeed a N11. I never built the Hawk kit but I did consider getting one of those when they were boxed up by Testors.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

As usual, although I do have two other builds ongoing, I was not able to withstand starting this kit.

Last Wednesday I went to a nearby, 45 minutes from my hometown, hobby store and while enjoying every minute there, I came across a thin strip of mahogany. I thought that this could be used for the interior of the Nieuport.

This evening I gave it a try and cut some strips, the strips are dry fitted in the picture but this is what it will look like more or less. If I go for this approach I need to see how much I need to thin the other parts.

Wondering what you guys think of this wooden like interior.

• Profile Photo
    John aitken said 1 month ago:

Looks way overscale

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

@johnaitken, thanks for the feedback, John. You are absolutely right. This was just to see how the wood would look like. If correct I would have created smaller strips.