Nieuport Ni-17, 1/48, Eduard Profipack

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 66 · 3 days ago · Eduard, Ni-17, Nieuport, Profipack
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Seems like I was a bit too enthusiastic and didn't do my homework correctly. When looking at interior pictures of the Nieuport, it seems like the sides were definitely not made of wood, just the linen coverage of the airframe.

• Profile Photo
    John aitken said 1 month ago:

Oils streaked over base of acrylic?…or go nuts making thin slices and setting them in? Of course, glued in then sanded might be able to thin down to scale so long as didn’t go “furry” and you sealed it nicely..

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

John, I’m pretty sure the side panels were wood from the back of the cockpit opening forward.

• Profile Photo

@johnaitken, this is definitely not the easiest approach, I agree. But since my wood paints don't look that nice, I thought this might have been an easier solution.
    @j-healy, thanks, that's what I thought at first. I will definitely do some more research.

• Profile Photo
    John aitken said 1 month ago:

It’s modelling..no animals were injured in the making of this movie so to speak…have fun..that’s what it’s about

• Profile Photo

@johnaitken, I fully agree. Fun is the most important part of this hobby.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    The plywood on the sides of the Nieuport 17 fuselage is exactly how John Healy described it.
    @j-healy
    It starts up front at the engine firewall, and ends right at the vertical post frame just behind the pilot's seat. This vertical post is located just behind the rearmost portion of the cockpit opening. It's purpose was to streamline the round engine cowling to make a smooth transition to the flat sides of the fuselage behind the engine. It might have also offered some strength and made the fuselage more rigid.

This I beleive is a Nieuport 11 drawing. The Nieuport 17 would have been similar, but you get the idea.

From there back you would see fabric covering on the inside. Some planes had a fabric covering behind the pilot's seat that would have been laced up. It would act as a wall divider, sealing up the rear fuselage section, and could be removed by unlacing it, (just as a person would tie or untie their shoes). This would allow access to the interior portion of the rear fuselage.

I think your plywood rendering looks good. If you are concerned about the grain being too prevalent, you may try using a piece of softer balsa wood, or even bass wood. I would try to keep it as thin as possible, because you might be able to see the upper top edge of the wood when looking down into the cockpit.

Personally I like the mahogany wood you chose. It's nice to get a different color stain on the plywood to liven it up a little. In some pictures I have located on the internet, they show the plywood was a series of thinner small strips that were glued in position at a 45 degree angle to the top fuselage longeron / stringer. If you really wanted to, you could remove the wood and cut it into thinner width sections. Glue it in place at the 45 degree angle, stop the wood at the area indicated in the picture I posted and call it a day.

Just remember to keep it fun, and build it up how you want to. In the end it's your model, so build it to suit your own tastes. I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps.
    Looks great already ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. John @j-healy and you are fully right about the wood used in the cockpit area. Thanks again for pointing that out. I will give it a try with the mahogany I bought and see how that turns out, just call it an experiment. Don't worry about the fun part, if there's no fun I will definitely stop.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Very interesting info, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Started with applying the wood. Not as it originally should look like but I wanted to give it a try, never used wood on a plastic model before. My goal is to make it look like one uniform piece of wood, once the fuselage is closed it will be barely seen.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Looks like a great addition, John (@johnb). I don't think I have ever seen anyone add wood to a biplane before. Should look great, even if you can't see much of it after assembly.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Not sure if this is the best approach but I'm trying to learn from it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

From experience, @johnb, wood decal works much better for this. It's scaled down, while the wood you are using is 1:1.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great approach, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to see the results!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@johnb interesting stuff! It's all learning. Can't wait to see the clamps come off and hear what you make of it!