Nieuport Ni-17, 1/48, Eduard Profipack

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 66 · 3 days ago · Eduard, Ni-17, Nieuport, Profipack
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@tcinla, haha pretty close to 1:1 indeed. To be honest, it is not that bad (but not 1:48 either), the mahogany strip is very thin (I will show a picture later on) and follows the surface quite nicely, hopefully some sanding later on will improve the looks. Decals might have worked easier indeed but I wanted to prevent the 'plastic' look of them. As said, I'm experimenting to see what can be achieved by using real wood.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

@yellow10, that's the main idea behind it, Paul, learning. I will thin it once all is in place and do hope to get a uniform wooden look.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

This is how the side panels look after applying two strips. I already started by sanding them to eventually get rid of the seam. Still some work to do to get the upper part of the fuselage covered.

As you can see from the picture, the strips are relatively thin and will be thinned even further, so I don't expect too much of an issue with the interior parts.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

John,
    This is looking really nice. I’m using my phone to respond so I don’t know how to reply where it gives you a notification. I’ll try to do that later tonight.

This is exactly how it should look. Once you get the wood down to where it looks good to you it will be even better.

I’m going to be scratch building the fuselage frame work and not use the kit supplied interior parts.

Basically I will be building the fuselage just like we did as kids when we built simple box frame fuselage for our balsa wood airplane models. I will be using the small 1/16” square wood sticks to make it. Then I will add the wire cross bracing and scratch built a seat for it as well.

It will look something similar to this one when it is completed. I found this excellent article online at a website called Stormomagazine.com

There’s an excellent resource for pictures on how the author built his N-17 and the picture I have just posted is fully credited to him and not mine.

I will be working on the Nieuport project again soon, possibly even tonight and will post some pictures when I do. Maybe it would help you ? In case you are not able to use the kit supplied interior parts. The cockpit is very simple and it can easily be done this way.

I’m building the wooden interior fuselage so that it will slide into the confined area inside of the fuselage once the halves are taped together. Once it fits correctly and is the correct size it will be adding all of the details such as the wires, seat and instruments (which are only a few).

I’m looking forward to seeing what you post next.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo
    John aitken said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Glad you are persisting with your idea..be careful not to try and do everything you’ve ever seen all at once- the scale of the wood may dominate internal bracing..am keen to see the final wood

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

That wood looks good, John. Very precise application, great work.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. I will give it a try to create that frame as well.Looking forward to your frame build.

@johnaitken, thank you, John. 1/48 is maybe not the best scale to use this approach, it might have been easier in 1/32, still not giving up though.

@j-healy, thanks a lot, John

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

The wood looks very nice so far, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Trying to get the frame work replicated.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Looking good, John. The paneling looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

WOW ! This looks amazing ! I like how you did the fuselage framing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Looking excellent, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

@j-healy, thank you, John. I had thoughts about framing the entire aircraft, but this scale and not being able to see it after fuselage closure kept me from doing that.

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. Not that perfect, but with the entire interior installed I do hope it will add something.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

The interior is now finally taking shape. The PE inside this kit has a nice seat replacement including the seatbelts. A nice improvement over the original seat I have to say.

Also some PE is provided like instruments, one on each side, and some handles. As you can see, I also attached some cross wires inside the frame.

The seat was finally mounted on the floor panel on which I also applied some wood first.

Did some dry fitting to see if I made sufficient adjustments to get all this inside the fuselage and it seems like I will be able to join them nicely this way.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 6 days ago:

That cockpit is really coming to life, John. Looks good.