Nieuport Ni-17, 1/48, Eduard Profipack

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 66 · 3 days ago · Eduard, Ni-17, Nieuport, Profipack
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

@j-healy, thanks a lot, John

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Excellent cockpit, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 5 days ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Going really well, John. Looks great now it’s getting busy in the office!

• Profile Photo

@yellow10, thank you, Paul. I'm also quite happy with the looks now everything is in place. I had my doubts at the beginning.

• Profile Photo

The interior is final. At first I had my doubts about using the mahogany wooden strips but now that all is in place I'm quite happy with the result. Indeed not perfect but for an experiment not that bad to my idea.

Of course I had to make some modifications to the floor panel because it would not fit due to the added wooden side panels. Thinning was sufficient and the fuselage halves closed up nicely. As expected, not much to be seen from the interior.

The manual describes mounting this lower panel prior to fuselage closing. I decided however to mount it afterwards, it will be much easier to make it fit smoothly.

Preparation on the engine region has started. The cowling has some very thick sprue connections but they clean up quite nicely due to the softer plastic.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Great job removing the casting sprue, John (@johnb). I suspect it was better to attach the sprue on the face of the part rather than the edge. If it was on the edge it would have been easy to gouge the thin edge of the part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Cockpit looks excellent, my friend @johnb!
    Good preparation of the cowling!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. For sure an improvement point for Eduard on this part. Cleaning was easy though.
    @fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 2 hours ago:

Prepared the wings, just a bit of cleaning. I plan to paint those separately from the fuselage because of the chosen scheme. The wings do have different colors, both upper and lower side, than the fuselage.

Mounted the horizontal and vertical stabilizer.

• Profile Photo
    John aitken said 6 days ago:

I think the cockpit turned out well- good job

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 days, 17 hours ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @johnb! Wise decision to paint the wings separately.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 15 hours ago:

@johnaitken, thanks a lot, John.
    @fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 days, 20 hours ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    This is really looking great. I especially like how the cockpit turned out. This should start coming together soon. I agree, it's a wise idea to paint it all separately.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. I want to give this oil approach a try as you did on your Nieuport.