Pulling a Julia Childs...

Started by David A. Thomas · 17 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

At the invitation and permission of Louis, and in the spirit of French cooking, I am kind of "cheating" here by bringing back an previous build for the sake of this group build. Like Julia Childs, I'm skipping a lot of steps and just pulling out the finished casserole. The original post can be found at https://imodeler.com/2018/06/legacy-build-icm-135-model-t-great-war-ambulance/ .

Part of my justification for pulling this otherwise rather unfair stunt (consideration all the blood, sweat, and tears my brothers in modeling have yet to spill for this GB) is that the build is a legacy item. As the original post relates, I have reproduced my own maternal grandfather's WW1 ambulance, the specs being pulled from photos he himself took while serving with the AFS late in the war. Papa passed away in 1981, but his last living child, my mother, turns 90 this week so there's something else for you (after taking the photos, I actually gifted my mother with the model in memory of her dad). Papa was a dear man, tenderhearted and generous to all and especially to his many grandchildren.

In all my years of model building, this is the only automobile model I've purchased, normally being an airplane guy. I enjoyed it, particularly the tailoring and adaptations I needed to make to make the box kit conform to the photo record I sought to replicate. I am, in fact, posting more photos here than I did in the original, although that first posting years ago included a number of Papa's original photos which I used for inspiration. I ENCOURAGE ALL TO FOLLOW THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL POST IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN TO SEE MY GRANDFATHER'S ORIGINAL, PREVIOUSLY UNPUBLISHED PHOTOS OF HIS TIME IN FRANCE DURING WW1.

My endeavor in posting this build of an ambulance first is that, whatever we build, we glory not in the nitty gritty of war itself, but in the courage of all those involved, and, the end, the hope for healing.

Best regards to all,

David

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

David A. Thomas (@davidathomas)
    Welcome aboard my dear friend.
    I was speechless when you first posted this article all those years ago. Having such a close personal relationship with it makes it even more fantastic.

I'll bet your mother was very pleased that you took the time to do something like this in the memory of her father. He sounded like he was a great man, and reminds me of both of my grandfather's too.

Thank you SO much for sharing this with us ... again.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to try and edit this for you so that the pictures will show up larger.

Your workmanship is head and shoulders above of the rest of us.

Thanks again for sharing this story with us, and for joining our little group.

Welcome back ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Shucks, Louis. My workmanship can't hold a candle to yours and many others here, but I'm blessed to have so many as my tutors. I learned a lot from you all, and most of all I appreciate the friendship.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

That's an impressive build, David @davidathomas
    To me your workmanship is superb.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Nice to hear from you again, David! Hope all is well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. We've had some ups and downs for sure since I was last on the site. Our work in Ecuador has been complicated by rising chaos and cartel crime in that country, but we are in a more stable situation now. I'm serving as a regional dean in an ambulatory seminary for all of Latin America. Not sure now much modeling I'll be able to do but I'm going to try something for this GB.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, @johnb, coming from you that is high praise indeed. I am fairly in awe of your work!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

What a wonderful result and great contribution to this GB, my friend @davidathomas! What a fantastic story behind it!
    Thanks so much for posting this here!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Dear David! @davidathomas I am so happy to see you back in the fold!

I remember this Museum Piece! An absolute work of art!

Looking forward to the Trench dio! Can’t wait!

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much, Paul @yellow10. Very kind of you.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Lovely work David @davidathomas!
    Great to see this again, and your good self of course!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @davem! Good to see you again!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@davidathomas
    David, so good to see you back in the forum, even more so with such a fine model and the story behind it. Hope to see you regularly here again. Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hey Pedro @holzhamer! Nice to connect with you, to. Let's see what we can do here, wish me luck!