Revell 1/28 Spad XIII

Started by David Mills · 30 · 4 days ago · SPAD
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 1 month ago:

Dear All,

Many thanks to Louis Gardner @lgardner for setting up this group.

Having never built a Spad before I thought this would be the ideal opportunity.

I was at the IPMS Avon show recently and picked up this beauty, in the ever popular 1/28 scale!

If Scalemates are to be believed, this was a new tool in 1957! and this is the 2014 rebox !

So its a kit which is older than me by a few years!

I think that I will choose the aircraft of Flight Lieutenant Long of the 93rd Aero Squadron, 3rd Pursuit Group, United States Air Service, France, October 1918.

Wish me Luck!

Cheers

Dave

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @davem! I love older kits like this, there's something special in building them. Of course with your skills an awesome result will emerge. Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros for your kind words!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 1 month ago:

Nice choice! Originally there were three kits this one a DR-1 and a Sopwith Camel, a D-IIV was added much later

• Profile Photo

Great to hear from you Robert! @roofrat
    Thanks for stopping by

• Profile Photo
    Brian Riedel said 1 month ago:

Be careful, the upper cowl fit is iffy when using the engine. I’ve built a couple of these and left the engine out of the last one.

Brian Riedel

• Profile Photo

Thank you Brian @bzak - I will look out for that one!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

I am looking forward to your build, David (@davem). I was thinking about building a Revell 1/28 Fokker VII for the group, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off and opted for a WW1 armoured car instead. I am sure you can really do justice to this kit, so I will be following along. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

That's a beautiful oldie you have here, David @davem
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George @gblair - its great to have you along!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your kind words John @johnb

• Profile Photo

Dear All,
    I manged to get started with this on straight away.
    The age of the kit and the state of the moulds is apparent straight away.
    There is a fair amount of flash, particularly on the small parts and the softness of some of the moulding gives it away.
    Having said that, its clear that a considerable amount of skill and effort was put inro the design and tooling of the kit,
    and this still shows through.

• Profile Photo

Although I know that following the instructions can get you into all sorts of trouble I started with the engine, although precious little of this will ever be seen.

It is here though that you start to see, the original quality of the kit - that all the parts are keyed and handed and can only be assembled one way.

Although the detail is surpassed in modern kits - it is by no means bad, and given the basic nature of WW I machinery probably pretty accurate - with a bit of clean up and finessing - the fit was very good.

If I had received this kit as as a kid in the 1960's I would have been over the moon!

I think that I am going to enjoy this one!

Paint used.

Black - Mr Surfacer 1500

Brighter Aluminium - Mr Hobby Super Iron 2

Duller Aluminium - MRP Dark Aluminium

Brass - MRP Dark Aluminium

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @davem! Very nice to realise that the kit creator(s) spent a lot of quality time designing it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Engine looks great, David (@davem). I am sure that using more recent tools and techniques, along with your modeling experience, will bring out the best in this kit. I remember building one of these, along with a Dr.1, and then playing with them outside in the yard. They survived a lot of dogfights before they finally died.