Revell 1/28 Spad XIII

Started by David Mills · 30 · 4 days ago · SPAD
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 1 month ago:

Quite a few of mine ended up that way too George @gblair !

• Profile Photo

It was a nice surprise and has made me appreciate the build more! @fiveten

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

That's a great start on this build, David @davem
    The engine looks great.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month ago:

The engine looks very nice David, if you left it out so the cowl would fit it would make a great display in its own right. Watching your build with interest as I have a Spad SX111 1/24 in the stash and are looking for pointers as I don't know much about them.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Ian @firelockg that is an idea which had not occurred to me!

• Profile Photo

Thank you John @johnb it still needs a wash but will get that done!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

David Mills (@davem)

Thank you for accepting the invitation and for participating in this group. Sorry for the late replay, but I have not been active on Imodeler over the past few days.

You picked out a great kit to build. I built one of these as a kid. Mine was a 1975 edition.

Here's a picture of the box art. Amazingly it has survived, and I have it along with the other three kits that Revell made back then. I built a model of a Werner Voss Fokker F-1 "prototype" triplane back in 2017. I scratch built the differences to make it more accurate.

On the inside of the fuselage was written "Revell Inc, Venice Calif. Copyright 1957".

I believe they made all four of these planes around the same time.

I have their 1/28 scale Sopwith Camel.

SPAD XIII (like yours),

and an original build Dr-1 Triplane from my childhood years.

Shortly after I returned back to the hobby in the mid 1990's, I picked up their Fokker D-VII and built it.

They could all use a facelift, but the Fokker D-VII looks the best since it was built about 20 years ago, while the others were constructed in the mid 1970's era.

I am very impressed by your engine assembly. Your model is also molded in a different color than mine was, going from memory. I believe mine was molded in a dark green plastic. I like the light tan color better, as it looks more appropriate for the underside of the wings and horizontals.

You're doing some marvelous work, and I look forward to seeing your next installments.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis!
    Love the Camel, DR1 and DVII - so great that you have the set. They still look the part all these years later!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Amazing to think the original sprues were on the planet before we were @davem ! Can't wait to see you work your magic!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Thank you Paul! @yellow10

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

Just though I would update with a few pics of progress.

Thinking ahead particularly in terms of the paint scheme, I found myself struggling with Revells black and white instructions and their paint mixes for Revell enamels , which I don't have a lot of !

By chance I was in Hannnats a few weeks ago and spied an Eduard Spad XIII on the shelf - the colour plates on the instructions helped clear up many misconceptions and potential errors.

The Wingnut Wings website had a copy of the instructions for their Salmson 2A2 in USAS markings and gave the colour scheme in Tamiya mixes which was a huge help!

Some painting next time!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

Great progress, David @davem
    Glad you found the correct colors to be used.
    Looking forward to the paint session.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 days, 11 hours ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @davem! Great that you found those color references!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

Your it may have a copyright of 1981, but this is the original 1957 kit, merely updated by record. It's amazing that these 67 year old kits are as good as they were.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

Great progress, David (@davem). This Revell Spad was one of my earliest favorites. It is an amazing kit considering its age, so I am sure your skills will turn it into a real standout. Looking forward to the rest of the build.