Roden 1/32 Sopwith Triplane.

Started by IAN Convey · 72 · 3 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

John,
    Thanks you, still a long way to go.
    George,
    the fuselage will not be lengthened, I could do it but its not worth the trouble. The Quinta sets are ace, but not cheap. You can get decals of WW1 instruments of various sizes, have some large ones if you are short.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Great progress, Ian. I like that interior work a lot.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

John, the Quinta decals make the difference, just have to glue most of them.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Impressive job, my friend @firelockg!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thank you Spiros. The 2 guns in the photo are Gaspatch, not Plusmodel, prefer the Gaspatch and had 2 of them.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Spent some time with paint that did not want to stick, didn't like my primer I guess. Went back to the old standby Beige and its OK. Installed some of the Quinta decals ready for the green paint.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

The stitching and other surface details you added will really look nice under the paint, Ian (@firelockg). I stopped using primer on most of my models because it often seems to make the rest of the painting process more difficult. A good plan to prime with the Quinta parts to get a uniform color before you spray the green.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

Sometimes paint reacts unexpectedly, Ian @firelockg
    Glad all is okay now.
    Looking forward to the green paint.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks ago:

George,
    The Quinta decals make the detailing allot easier, trick is to glue them on with PVA.as per the instructions.
    John,
    It was a new brand of paint I purchased, shall stick to the tried and proven ones I use.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Not much done today, shaded the underside and finished painting it. Shading was with a 6B pencil, then blended in with a damp cotton bud, topcoat was then applied, shading finally adjusted with thinned final coat.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

A nice technique to get the shading done, Ian @firelockg

• Profile Photo
    Kevin M. Batterman said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Ian I will try to find it and I recall I printed it out. The printed copy was not in the kit box here at our country home so it is possible I have an electronic copy on my computer in NYC. If so I can send it to you. At the time I built mine I did not know about the fuselage, but it looks fine and did well in contests. Years ago there was a nice correction set out with a new fuselage, but I do not recall the maker and unfortunately sold off my Roden Tripes with them. Once WNW released their kit I got rid of all of the Roden kits, but later picked up one as the price was too good to pass on.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin M. Batterman said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Ian I found the printed article and I can scan it once I get back to NYC. So it you want it email me at [email protected] and I will send it next week after I return.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Great preshading method and excellent results, my friend @firelockg!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 6 days ago:

John & Spiros,
    I found the shading method on another WW1 aircraft building site, works well with light colours.
    Kevin ,
    Shall email you.