Roden 1/32 Sopwith Triplane.

Started by IAN Convey · 73 · 52 minutes ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Shading looks great, Ian (@firelockg). It does work well with light colors, but it will work with dark colors if you keep them thin. It is really easy to cover up all of your pre-shading, though.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thanks George, have been guilty of covering the shading with the darker colours, as you say ,thin paint and proceed with caution. That is the next step as am now up to the upper surfaces to do in British olive green.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 5 days ago:

The green went on yesterday, shading and thin top coat today. Must admit the shading is hard to see. Struts on top wing, next drill holes for rigging fixing points then make all the eyelets. Fun times ahead.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

The green looks good, Ian @firelockg
    Looking forward to how you approach the rigging, personally not my favorite part.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Shaping up nicely, Ian. Rigging should interesting. Don’t at least two of the wires go through the middle wing on the tripe?

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 4 days ago:

John B & John H the rigging on the Tripe does have 2 wires going thru the middle wing, there are no turnbuckles showing that I can find. Will put all mounting points in before final assembly, some of the wires also, as there is not much room for installing rigging once its assembled.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 week, 4 days ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    This is looking really good ! I like how you are doing this, and will be taking notes for the upcoming rigging.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Looking excellent so far, my friend @firelockg!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Louis and Spiros, thank you gentlemen.

I drilled all mounting points for the rigging this afternoon then spent 1/2 hr on twisting up eyelets. Think I have enough. Also fitted the last of the Quinta decals as per the photos.

Whilst twisting eyelets I had an idea to try one on a gaspatch turnbuckle to see if it would be easy to have the eyelet and turnbuckle swivel , turns out it works, no more trying to drill at the correct angle for me , just drill square and cement the eyelet , turnbuckle will then align with the rigging perfectly. Eureka!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Those Quinta decals look very realistic, Ian @firelockg
    Great preparation on the rigging together with the turnbuckles as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Looks great, Ian @firelockg. I can't imagine having support wires going through the center wing. I guess you really have to mark the entry and exit points carefully.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Excellent job and really nice use of the Gaspatch turnbuckles, my friend @firelockg!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 3 days ago:

John, George & Spiros,
    There will be no turnbuckles on the rigging as they were hidden on the tripe, as for the wires going thru the centre wing , there are entrance and exit plates on the wing , trick is to get the angle between them right as they are not opposite each other . Must admit I have had to use a bit of filler on the first one.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Fitted all the eyelets today, lost 6 just on one hole, but all in.
    Undercarriage assembled , control horns fitted , think I shall put the decals on next, always scary applying Roden decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

These eyelets look really good and must be remarkably useful for rigging, Ian (@firelockg). I just got a couple of Roden kits (I think I have caught the biplane bug), so you will need to let me know your secret for Roden decals.