Sopwith Camel F.1

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 12 · 1 month ago · . 1/48, Eduard, Sopwith Camel
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hi everyone,

This is going to be my first 1/48 biplane ever, and even though the subject is very appealing to build all this rigging makes me nervous, so let’s see if I can get it done in the end

The kit is this one

This will be the subject depicted
    All that rigging…😬

I already cut some parts off the sprue trees and bagged them accordingly to future painting

Despite its small size the plastic is up to Eduard standard surface detail finesse

The sanding file is for size comparisons- told you it is tiny!

The only extra is a resin seat

that offers much more depth than the PE+plastic option that comes in the box
    I already primed it with a buff shade, oils will complete the painting of the seat

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Nice choice, Pedro. I’ve been wanting to see one of these built. That’s Eduard’s second try at the Camel and supposedly it builds well. The rib stitching looks a little exaggerated on the wings, just like my SSW D.III kit.

• Profile Photo

@j-healy
    Thank you John. I must confess the detail of the wing looks ok to me but my knowledge of the Camel is basic. Have you sand down a bit that ribbing on your SSW or do paint layers suffices ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent entry and great start already, my friend @holzhamer! The extra seat looks awesome!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

This looks like it will really be a good one, Pedro (@holzhamer). I have also never built a biplane before, and the thought of rigging makes my hands shake. I am doing an armoured car for the group, but if you jump into a biplane I may need to try one also. I need you to go first and work out all the difficult stuff, so I will be following along intently.

• Profile Photo

@gblair
    Glad to be of help George 😜
    I’m hoping that the rigging part turns out easier than it looks (fingers crossed)

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I sanded down the stitching but left the rib tapes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    This is going to be a real looker when done ! You picked an excellent subject.

I like what I'm seeing here. I got rid of all my 1/48 and smaller biplanes because my up close vision is not what it used to be. I think you will be OK with the rigging. I have seen your other builds, and you have some wonderful skills. You can do it... I know you can !

The parts you have been working on already look good. They will only get better as more is done.

I'm looking forward to your next steps. Keep it going my friend. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@holzhamer- Don't worry about the ribbing. Once you paint it it looks fine.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Nice start on the Camel Pedro, looking forward to the build, don't worry about the rigging it will take care but is not a major hurdle.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A great entry and ditto start, Pedro @holzhamer
    The chosen scheme will look amazing once done.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

It’s a nice little kit! I have the Comic version, and it is indeed a beautiful model kit. I am also concerned about the rigging, even though I made biplanes before. I found conflicting information about the rigging solutions used on those planes, and I need to dig into the topic before my build starts.