Trench Diorama

Started by David A. Thomas · 7 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I am honored to be invited, after all these years away, by my dear friend Louis. My hope is that I, the prodigal come home, might be able to work up a diorama of some sort, even if rudimentary, addressing the horrors of trench warfare.

Also, in another post, I will also accept Louis' kind invitation to "recycle" a post I made six years ago (ugh, cannot believe it's been that long) that was a legacy build. That will be separate.

Best regards to all,

David

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Welcome to this great GB, David @davidathomas! Looking forward to your entries!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

David A. Thomas (@davidathomas)
    Welcome to the group. It's wonderful to have you back. Like our good friend Spiros, I too am looking forward to seeing your project as it develops.

I recently picked up a 1/35 scale Meng British Male Mk V tank. I'm going to be building it eventually for the group. Maybe I can learn a few things from your project and try to come up with a clever way to display it...

Thanks again, and it's good to have you back.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 1 day, 17 hours ago:

With trepidation I post this update. Here is my trench scene in progress, a small diorama indeed. It's in 1/35, using a combo of Master Box (Ukrainian) and Tamiya kits. I will review them later on when I can speak to them a bit better, though I have some opinions already.

I thought 1/35 would be a cakewalk given my long experience with 1/48 figurines, but the opposite is true--the stakes are higher.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day, 14 hours ago:

Great idea for a really cool diorama, David (@davidathomas). This will be a good size for a diorama...big enough for some detail, but not something that takes up a bunch of shelf space. I have wanted to do a trench diorama for a long time, but never quite had the skills to get rolling. I will be taking notes as you do yours.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 day, 11 hours ago:

Looks awesome, my friend @davidathomas!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 day, 11 hours ago:

That's a wonderful diorama already, great idea, David @davidathomas