Unarmed Fokker Dr.1 Trainer: Revell 1/28

Started by George R Blair Jr · 84 · 13 hours ago · 1/28, Dr-1, Fokker, Revell, trainer
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

You spent that little time efficiently, George @gblair
    The framing starts to look great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @gblair! Love how the framing turns out!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

The cockpit framing adds that extra bit to the model George, coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks for stopping by, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and Ian (@firelockg). This model has been fun because I have been trying new ways to add detail.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

I found a really good book at Amazon on the Dr.1 that is really filling in the empty spots, plus I have gotten some really good photos from Louis (@lgardner). I am starting to get a good picture of what the interior should look like. The only question now is how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go. This model has been a great opportunity to try some new methods for scratchbuilding, as well as getting some practice designing and printing some parts. I use a very simple online design software called Tinkercad, and although it is fairly simple to use, it still requires practice to develop the skill needed to create some of the parts for this model. I also borrowed my wife's Scan and Cut machine to create some stencils for the markings needed for this plane. The numbers for this plane are an unusual style and I didn't really think I would be able to find a suitable font. The internet is amazing and I found some free TrueType fonts that match the style almost exactly. I have been taking measurements for some of the interior pieces from a 1/32 Roden Dr.1 that I scale up by 14% to get parts that are 1/28 scale. I then design them in TinkerCad and print them. So far, they have fit perfectly. I have now moved on to the parts that I can't measure, so it is a case of measure, design, print, and then hope for the best. Cheers everyone.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Wow! Superb job, my friend @gblair! What a departure from the original kit already!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Some serious improvements already on this kit, George @gblair
    Looking great.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

the interior of this kit is already full of excellent detail. Have posted a photo of a Taurus 1/32 engine kit, not for a Dr1 but I think they do make one. The kit has 120 parts , many very small, that's why its still in the stash!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Ian (@firelockg). I sometimes marvel at the detail you get sometimes with a 3D print. The Taurus kit looks really nice, but I couldn't deal with all of the tiny parts either. The 3D print of the engine is one piece, so nothing small to glue on.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 weeks ago:

Those are some great upgrades, George. You’re becoming a real pro with that printer.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks ago:

It looks like a printer is the way to go for doing detail work or non kit modifications, You are taking that DR1 to the next level George, excellent.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thanks, John (@j-healy) and Ian (@firelockg). I think 3D printing is the way to go, but I am still in the bumbling around stage. I know just enough to do simple things on my printer. I wish I was better at designing my own stuff. Several things I am using on the Dr.1 come from print files I found for free online.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 6 days ago:

The last couple of days have been filled with discovery and experimentation. I think I finally have a good idea of what was missing from the Revell cockpit (mostly everything) and I have begun to work on fabricating the parts. I want to design and print the parts where I can, but this leads to some really fun mistakes. It is all a learning process. I will probably be working on the cockpit for several days. The first step is to see what I need, the next step is to design it, then I print it, then I measure it, then I realize that I either measured incorrectly or I messed up the scaling, then I fix it, then I reprint it. So, bottom line, it is length (but fun) process. Visit to the ortho doctor tomorrow to see if they need to do surgery on my knee, so I am not sure how much I will get done. Cheers everyone.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Ruffier said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Well, now I've got the bug... just ordered a DR I off a certain auction site. I should probably starting building stuff, instead of increasing the stash

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Excellent results so far, my friend @gblair! Your perseverance pays off, this is really wonderful stuff!
    Hope all will be good with your knee tomorrow.