Unarmed Fokker Dr.1 Trainer: Revell 1/28

Started by George R Blair Jr · 84 · 15 hours ago · 1/28, Dr-1, Fokker, Revell, trainer
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Superb progress, George @gblair
    Clearly some excellent detailing going on.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Sorry, Brian (@wyvern1965). This is my first multi-wing model, and it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Did you get a Triplane, or something else?

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). This has been fun, and the large size eases the difficulty of the detailing a little.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Ruffier said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Yup, grabbed an old Revell bagged DR I. Might do a captured French one that I saw online... like to do the oddball, rather than the same old thing. That's why I found yours interesting---may well do that one too. So much to do, so little time...

• Profile Photo
    Brian Ruffier said 1 week, 5 days ago:

And on flyingmachines.ru there's an experimental DR I with a four-bladed prop... another interesting possibility...

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week, 4 days ago:

That engine is sharp, George. Good luck at the doc!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 week, 4 days ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Wow ! You are pulling all of the stops out on this Tri-plane ! I especially like how you have upgraded the engine and cockpit with items you were able to make yourself with your 3D printer. This kicks things up a notch or two.

Your comment about gluing the fuselage tubing to the work bench reminded me of some of my building experiences. I am VERY impressed with the engines you have printed out. They look incredible.

Hopefully you will get good news from your doctor's visit. It is not much fun being in constant pain. Hopefully you will get some relief soon. I too have been spending some time in doctor offices a lot lately...yesterday and again on Monday... which cuts into our modeling time.

Good luck at the doctor's office.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Thanks for stopping by Brian (@wyvern1965), John (@j-healy), and Louis (@lgardner). Doctor went OK, but did some work on my knee, followed by an injection in the knee. Pretty sore right now, so I haven't really felt like climbing the stairs to my hobby room. I did get a chance to design and print some stuff for the cockpit, including a new floor, a new stick, and the floor-mounted compass. I also found a print file online for a new deck for the forward upper part of the fuselage. Very detailed. Next step is to see if it fits. You are a man after by own heart, Brian. I am always trying to take the pass less traveled. I found a book at my local hobby shop on the Post-war Fokker D.VIIs. Some really cool stuff. The US had some that they mounted different engines, including a Liberty 6 and a BMW 6. They all slightly changed the front of the plane, and the radiator. I think this is the same engine use in the DH-4, so that might lead to an interesting conversion.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Your knee will feel better after some time, George @gblair
    Glad they are able to improve it with those kind of injections.
    A good idea to give your knee a bit of rest and work on the design in the mean time.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb). Still doing some printing of 3D cockpit items. I hope to try them out later today.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

I finally got some work on the Triplane done today, now that I can get up the stairs. I wanted to get all of the parts printed for the interior and then get the inside of the fuselage ready to add the frame and other cockpit parts. I hope to build the cockpit outside the fuselage, then close the fuselage halves around the completed cockpit. This will allow me to prep and paint the fuselage sides and the cockpit cage separately, easing the painting task considerably. The parts that I designed and printed for the cockpit are very small and all seemed to print fine. I had to reprint the engine, the control stick, and the seat. I broke the engine getting it off the printing supports, while the seat and stick were both too small. I am watching a college football game while I am waiting for the parts to reprint. I may have some time to get some more done later. Cheers.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Those tiny parts are some serious printing George, The assembly will be fun.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Excellent printed parts, my friend @gblair! I can understand it's very challenging to remove some from their supports. You are doing an excellent job!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Very nice printed parts, George @gblair
    What is the best approach to remove those parts from their supports, cutting or using a knife.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Thanks, Ian (@firelockg), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). I always complain about assembling tiny parts, and here I am making them for myself. Assembly will be fun. I still need to clean the little nubs left over from the supports on several of them, so that should be really fun. I think re-printing some may be in the future. I have found the best way to remove them is to use sprue cutters that will cut the support without putting pressure on either side of the support. Using a knife causes you to push on the part, which is what causes them to break. I designed and printed the throttle last night. Came out nicely, but very fragile. I hope to remove the supports and check the size later.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 2 days ago:

One advantage of printing your own parts George is that when they disappear into the modellers blackhole ( the floor ), you just print more.