Unarmed Fokker Dr.1 Trainer: Revell 1/28

Started by George R Blair Jr · 84 · 16 hours ago · 1/28, Dr-1, Fokker, Revell, trainer
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Hi Ian (@firelockg). You are right, although my Karma is pretty good right now. Everything for this model that has fallen into the carpet has been recovered. I have been using a technique that my wife uses to find sewing needles in the carpet. She wraps her hand with masking tape, sticky side out, and then starts running her hand across the carpet. I am 100% recovery rate using her technique.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

This is turning out to be a really busy week full of non-modeling stuff, but things continue to move forward on the triplane. I finalized the fabric sides of the cockpit interior. From what I have read, these planes started in the factory with linen stretched over the framework. Then they did the streaked paint on the exterior. This exterior layer should be faintly visible on the interior side of the fabric. The process for the interior was simply to paint a linen color on the inside of the model, streak some green oil paint on the inside, then work the streak effect using Odorless Turpenoid. When this was dry, I sprayed some Clear Flat over everything to protect it. Today I sprayed some very diluted linen-colored ModelAir over everything to lighten the effect. I like how it came out. I have also been playing around with some 3D printed parts. The throttles were a little big, I think, so I reduced the size and reprinted them. I found a file online to laser cut a wooden prop. By coincidence, my daughter's hobby is laser cutting and she has a couple laster cutters that have all the cool technology. She cut the 7 parts for the prop in their native 1/8 scale so that we can see how it works. In the meantime, we are looking for some basswood that is thin enough to print the prop in 1/28. I want to see how much work it is to assemble and sand the prop to its final shape. I think I may decide it is too much trouble and stick with the kit prop. That's it for now. Cheers.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Wow! Excellent job, my friend @gblair! Love your painting, as well as the 3D printed parts! Those laser cut parts look amazing!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 1 day ago:

George, got to love that engine and throttle you printed ,this DR1 kit is way past the OOB, excellent detailing.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 week, 1 day ago:

@gblair George, this is a very special build indeed the 3D printing is on a different level. The engine is so good.

The interior painting is outstanding, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week ago:

That's impressive work done, George @gblair.
    Those newly printed parts do upgrade this kit a lot.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week ago:

You’re making great progress on this, George!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

Spiros (@fiveten)
    Ian (@firelockg)
    Paul (@yellow10)
    John (@johnb)
    John (@j-healy)
    Thanks for the kind words. 3D printing allows me to add detail that just wouldn't be possible any other way. I want to raise my game and learn how to actually design things that I print. I currently use a free. simple design program called TinkerCad where you simply "glue" basic shapes together to form something more complex. There are several modelers on iModeler that use really advanced software to create really complex items for printing. I would really like to get where I can design and print stuff like ejection seats, landing gear, etc. The price of 3D printers has come down dramatically in the last few years, so it is possible to get a printer for just a couple of hundred dollars. Still not cheap, but when I first started looking at printers several years ago, they were over $1000. And thanks to YouTube, the learning curve is easily managed.

I am currently waiting for a print to get done. I discovered that my throttle is still the wrong size, and my cross-cockpit support bars are all too big. It is easy to resize all of the parts and print them. One of the benefits of 3D printing.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 days, 11 hours ago:

I started the day today thinking I had everything gathered that I needed to assemble the cockpit. My original plan was to assemble the internal framework with the fuselage sides temporarily taped together. This would insure that the frame would fit and that all of the major supports were in the right place. It quickly became clear that this just wasn't going to work, so I assembled the frame on my workbench using all sorts of stuff to keep things straight. All sorts of problems jumped up here. First, the resin frame that I printed was extremely fragile. I used scale sizes for the frame, and they are very thin. The next problem is that superglue doesn't seem to like bonding resin to resin. The completed joints were constantly popping open. I eventually got the frame all set and got ready to add the floor. I had already printed a floor, but I decided to add some more detail, including a center cutout for the stick and the troughs for the rudder pedals. It took several attempts to get a floor I was happy with, so I started painting the floor. It was at this point that I noticed I had designed the floor with the foot troughs curving in the wrong direction. OK, head smack here. This is why I really like using design software and 3D printing. If I had scratchbuilt the floor, I would have needed another complete build. I am printing a replacement floor now, so I hope to be back on track tomorrow. Cheers.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 5 days, 11 hours ago:

You're really moving up on this 3D printing George (@gblair). Computers are wonderful tools when it comes to this sort of thing, but learning the software is the computer equivalent of sanding and rescribing! I'm hopeful AI will get incorporated into the software so I can tell it to make shapes and trim them and move things around instead of having to remember how to do all this myself. I don't want AI to design the parts, simply to serve as an interface between me and the software tools.

The frame looks great. And the floor, once you get it corrected will be a nice addition.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): The new floor is printing now and should be done soon. I am really anxious to get the floor installed and then start adding the instruments, throttles, and all the other cool stuff. You should really go take a look at Tinkercad, which is the design software I use. It is free to use, and is literally point and click. All you have to do is break down what you want to create into basic shapes, then select the shapes in the program and assemble them. You can create a simple design on the first try without any instructions at all. You get better at creating things the more you use it, which was one of the reasons I wanted to use Tinkercad for this plane. Another chance to practice. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 days, 8 hours ago:

Excellent result so far despite the challenges, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 6 hours ago:

Not an easy build but the progress you made is great, George @gblair
    The frame gets together beautifully.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 5 days, 3 hours ago:

This is all going together well, allot of trial and error but by the end you will be a master printer George. The next kit will be a breeze.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 days ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Ian (@firelockg). "Trial and error" is my middle name, but I am learning a lot. Now, if I can just refrain from repeating the errors.