Unarmed Fokker Dr.1 Trainer: Revell 1/28

Started by George R Blair Jr · 84 · 16 hours ago · 1/28, Dr-1, Fokker, Revell, trainer
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 days, 12 hours ago:

I spent the day working with the various parts of the cockpit, trying to get them prepped and painted and ready to place in the cockpit. Several of the pieces worked fine, but I mis-estimated the size of several of the cockpit components and I am currently enlarging and reprinting them. Probably the worst was the stick. I found the files online that were designed for a 1/8 RC model. I scaled them down to 1/28 and printed them, which should have worked. The stick looked small when I first printed it, so I reprinted it at 110%. This turned out to be too small also, especially when compared to the stick from the Revell model. I also compared it to the hands on the figures that came with the plane. My printed stick would have been fine as long as the figure only used 3 of his fingers. I plan to printed several new sticks, each slightly larger than the previous one. That way I can get a whole range of sizes and see which works the best. Cheers everyone.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 days, 6 hours ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @gblair! The stick looks indeed nice.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 days, 5 hours ago:

This looks really good, George @gblair
    Especially the engine and seat are very nice.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 days ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I have a print of larger sticks ready to go. I hope to print them this morning.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 days, 13 hours ago:

These details look excellent George (@gblair). Being able to use 3D prints really adds to the possibilities for detailing. That engine is exceptional and painted to match. It looks like the new floorboard came out great as well. And good work on the control stick and seat.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 days, 12 hours ago:

Your printer work is amazing, George. That cockpit looks sharp.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 days, 9 hours ago:

Thanks, Carl (@clipper) and John (@j-healy). 3D printing is a blessing and a curse. It is fun to do and it makes it possible to easily re-do complicated parts, but sometime they don't come out like I think they should. On some of my parts I am on the 4th or 5th re-do, thanks to resizing or changing the part.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 days, 12 hours ago:

The small cockpit parts are slowly coming together. I have been busy painting and prepping the small parts, so now they are going in one at a time. I am trying to be careful so that I don't add something that will interfere with inserting the cockpit into the fuselage. I check each piece to be sure that nothing sticks out past the frame. I got the altimeter ready, added an Airscale WW1 instrument decal, then added a drop of "Looks Like Glass". I am amazed that I managed to get the altimeter glued onto the frame without breaking the 3 microscopic resin supports. Yeah. We were babysitting with my granddaughter for a good part of the day, so that is it for today. Too much fun playing with our 4 year old.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 days, 7 hours ago:

Really exceptional looks, my friend @gblair! Love this cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 days, 6 hours ago:

This is superb scratchbuilding, George @gblair
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 days, 2 hours ago:

That is one very detailed cockpit so far George, you have put allot of work into it .

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 day, 22 hours ago:

Dang George (@gblair), you really are improving on that old Revell kit. That cockpit is going to be delicious to look at inside the closed up fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day, 21 hours ago:

Spiros (@fiveten)

John (@johnb)

Ian (@firelockg)

Carl (@clipper)

Thanks for the kind words. I think things will go faster now that all of various parts are printed. I may still need to reprint some parts to adjust their size. I am stil worried about the size of the control stick.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day, 12 hours ago:

I keep telling myself that the cockpit is getting close to being done, but the small things really seem to slow the completion down, especially when it involves me printing them before I can paint and assemble them. Getting the instrument gauges created in the correct size has proven to be a challenge and I am now on my 3rd or 4th printing of some of them. Still having problems getting the superglue to hold the parts together, but the parts are running out of time to fall out of the cockpit before it is done. My big fear right now is that after all of this building of the cockpit it won't go back into the fuselage. But that's what hammers are for. Just kidding. :o)

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 day, 10 hours ago:

Really cool stuff here George (@gblair). Wait and step forward, that's the nature of building models I think.