Zeppelin P Class 1/350 Takom

Started by Paul Barber · 39 · 6 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Both do look great, Paul @yellow10

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 weeks ago:

Two different ones. I like the look of the paint job...well done, Paul. @yellow10

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 week, 5 days ago:

A little of the ‘scheme’ taking shape. Still adding paint as uneven coats.

The white is an off colour SMS primer. The clear doped linen (MRP) has been overpainted with some pale slate (SMS) and the ‘brown’ something I mixed in the airbrush paint cup using clear doped linen and PC10 (both MRP). Not too much clarity on accuracy, just looking to make a dirty looking approximation of the rubberised material the Zeppelins were made of.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 5 days ago:

To me all looks pretty accurate, Paul @yellow10
    Great paint work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Nice work on the exterior of the models, Paul (@yellow10). Very realistic. I am really impressed by the size of these models. When you think about 1/350, you think they will be very small.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Excellent job, my friend @yellow10!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Progressing very nicely Paul.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 week ago:

This is really coming together well, Paul. I like the dissimilar finish a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 days, 12 hours ago:

Paul Barber (@yellow10)
    This is looking fantastic ! I really like how you have painted the linen portions. Adding the colors is bringing it to life. I can't wait to see the next installment. I just learned something about the surface of the Zeppelins. I was not aware they were rubberized. The only one I knew anything about the fabric was the Hindenburg. It was a doped linen with a red oxide primer, followed by an aluminum dope color. (and it was VERY flammable).

I am seriously considering that someday I will make a large balsa wood and tissue covered zeppelin, most likely the Hindenburg. But these Great War Zeppelin's were pretty cool too ! The more I look at how nice yours is turning out, the harder the choice will be for me when the time comes and I eventually build one.

I was doing some math to figure out how big the model would have to be if it was filled with helium balloons inside it... to make it a scale flyable RC model. If my calculations were correct, it had to be something like 12 feet long ! The problem would be how to keep the balloons filled. What would you do if one popped inside the frame ? There are lots of obstacles to consider. It had to be this big to support the overall airframe weight, the radio gear, batteries and electric motors. This would be big enough to keep it buoyant. It would be a catastrophe to release the airship, and it simply floated away up into the stratosphere...

This could be a pipe dream. Fun to think about though.

Keep it going brother.

PS: I just ordered a Meng 1/35 scale French Renault FT-17 tank. I plan on building it along with the British Male MK V as part of the group here... Then your "Mephisto" A7V will have some company. I may pull the trigger on one of these A7V's like yours at the end of this month. Then I would have a good collection of WW1 tanks.

Take care and please tell everyone we said hello.