Airfix 1/35 M-36 Tank Destroyer

Started by Brian Fisher · 15 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

I had already started the model before I decided to include posts about my build. This is the first time I've ever documented a build and the first model I'm building in quite some time! It's also my first time posting on iModeler, so initially this was posted in "Headlines" until some kind folks pointed out I might want to move it to this group.

My principal source of research is the "Images of War" book M36/M36B1 Tank Destroyer by David Doyle. I've started the hull and the drivers position so I'll start my build here with the instrument panel. My research shows the instrument panel is Olive Drab with black gauges and white pointers. I've seen guys like David Damek freehand these details, but I'm a little older, and because of shaky hands I can't do fine detail painting, instead going with workarounds.

Here I painted the panel black to set the background on the dials. Then I dry-brushed white to raise the pointers, covered the dials themselves with liquid mask and finally painted the panel OD before removing the liquid mask. The research showed not all the dial positions on the panel were actually used so I selectively left a few out.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Super entry and solid progress so far, my friend @bpfish36! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Good to be able to follow it here, Brian @bpfish36
    Looking forward to see the progress on this M36

• Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

I added some detail to the model this past week. First I had to add the fire extinguisher. I painted this with a combination of using paper and liquid masking. The body of the extinguisher itself is red, the nozzle black, straps olive drab and the handle gunmetal. I painted and weathered the canteens as well. I used US khaki for the covers and black for the caps. These were all glued in place along with the rear bulkhead. Next step is to add ammunition storage.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is some serious painting, Brian @bpfish36
    Fire extinguisher and canteens are superbly done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Really nice job there, my friend @bpfish36!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Its summer so progress is slow, but moving. The interior of the hull is just about done now with the addition of storage tubes and and construction of the rear section. Two things; first, I ran into an issue after painting the tubes in that I realized the lines from the model's press were still more prominent than I cared for. I sanded them off but before repainting them I thought rather than completely airbrush them again, I would apply highly diluted OD paint with a brush to see if it gave them a unique weathered effect. I liked it, let me know what you think. Second, I didn't realize until this stage this model has no engine. My plan is to eventually create a diorama for this, so not sure anyone would ever actually see the engine, but I kind of feel it belongs there. Would you add it? I'd have to buy it 3rd party, most likely resin, if I can find it...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

I like the diluted OD, my friend @bpfish36! Regarding the engine, my approach would be similar to my models: if you cannot see it, I will not build it 😊

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

Very nice progress, Bian @bpfish36
    The result of the diluted OD is beautiful.
    If nothing would be visible from the engine I would leave it out like mentioned by Spiros @fiveten, but I do understand your thoughts about adding it.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 8 months ago:

Nice progress, the M36 is the only member of the Academy M3/M4/M10 family that I haven't built - sort of odd since I LOVE TD's and it has the coolest tank-name ever ! - All of those kits build-up really nicely and you'll get a tonne of spares at the end of it.

(My Academy M10 RBFM from a couple of years ago):

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice, thank you. I'm leaning towards using this as the centerpiece for a diorama (as I've never done one and long wanted to) however I'm having questions on what the typical TD crewmember wore. Without a doubt some, if not most, M36 crew wore standard GI issue gear, but I have seen pics of crewmembers tanker-type coveralls and helmets. My guess is the driver and assistant-driver wore the tanker gear and the rest of the crew wore GI issue. Since you've done some TDs, do you have any input? Thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Fisher said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Funny thing, just yesterday I noticed the stamps on the sprues - the majority are from a previous run Airfix did of the M10, only a few were made specifically for this model. I guess that's fair because it's basically what the Army did, isn't it?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Since the M-36 utilizes the hull of the M-10, it makes good sense for Airfix using the common sprues, my friend @bpfish36.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your tank buster looks really great, Brian (@bpfish36). I got a couple of the newer Airfix armor, but I haven't done anything with them yet.