Supacat Jackal

Started by Anthony Ricco · 28 · 8 months ago · 1/48, Airfix, jackal, supacat
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

I started this one a while ago but haven't posted it yet, Airfix's 1/48 Supacat Jackal so far a really nice build - I also got the crew figures to go with it.

Started with the suspension - and oh my goodness what amazing detail - not what I expected from Airfix. Absolutely superb - and then they do this to the tyres - come on.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some painting and weathering on the parts happening - So very different build process - because of all the little nooks and cranny's I decided to build it up in parts and then glue after I'd painted and pre weathered so I could get into all the areas.

Used the Tamiya panel liner to make some streaks and add dirt and some sponges for chipping.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Driver and gunner had to go in before the dash could close up - so started painting the figures. Still a very beginner figure painter so please be kind haha.

Started with a primer and then zenithal highlights to see where the darks and lights should go. then painted with Vallejo paints. The uniforms were very light brown and I wanted to give them the green uniforms to have a bit of contrast to the vehicle so I did a filter using a green oil paint to bring out the green more.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

While they were busy drying I moved onto the dash and the front of the car - I used UV curing resin for lenses and on the lights because there were no clear parts and what a great job it did.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Got my driver and gunner into position and the front on - what a really fun build so far.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Started painting up my other units - man old tricks just work - Dry brushing for the win - You can see the first picture - the figure on the left is dry brushed and the right isn't - makes all the detail pop out so nicely.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks very impressive, Anthony @anthonyricco
    The dry brushing clearly makes a difference.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amazing indeed, my friend @anthonyricco!

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot @johnb and @fiveten, always appreciate your amazing encouragement.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 10 months, 1 week ago:

So the gunner is in and now the actual Jackal build is done - now to muster up the courage to do a base for it.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

The gunner seems to have found a perfect place, Anthony @anthonyricco
    I'm surprised that the crew in this vehicle does not seem to have that much protection around them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb - yeah not well protected but this is more of a recon and transport vehicle - its taken the palace of the British Wolf Land rovers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Superb result so far, my friend @anthonyricco! Love the Jackal's looks!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten, yes it really is an interesting looking vehicle.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 1 week ago:

@anthonyricco - Very cool build Anthony. Your figure painting skills are spot on as far as I can tell. The paint and weathering on the vehicle looks great as well. Looking forward to the base!