Until here and no further

Started by Michel Verschuere · 43 · 1 year ago · GAZ, Hostomel, Kyiv, Tigr, Ukraine
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Yep, another epic @michel-verschuere diorama coming along great. Good topic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    Those tires look absolutely life like, and the sign, and vehicle. Do the doors hinge open, or have you closed them for photographic purposes ?

I am always very impressed with your building skills. As the others have mentioned, this is going to be an epic diorama.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Beautiful progress indeed, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Here are two more shots in daylight

Took me a while to move ahead on this one. There are some technical reasons for that:

• The lining of the interior is via a decal set in camo pattern
    • The glue on these decals is thinned by the time you apply them to the model because of their size
    • As a result, the decals don't adhere too well and when I added some masking tape to cover the interior from the outside paint job, some parts peeled-off afterwards 🙁
    • I could have used another decal set as I have another such kit in the stash, but I then decided to paint the model as if there had been an interior fire
    • I blackened those parts of the interior wall where the decal was damaged in anthracit black

If you ever build this kit, I advise you to apply the interior decal AFTER the exterior is painted, then you can apply masking tape all you want and there is no risk of peeling the decal away upon removel of the tape, simply because there is no decal yet.

There are several first in this model for me:

• Modeling a larger surface piece of highway
    • Working with extensive decal pieces in the interior
    • Applying snow to diorama's
    • Modelling fire damage through paint
    • Some more things I will add going fwd

I am happy about this build although my next Gaz Tigr will benefit from the few bad experiences I had so far (there will be another setting).

Next thing on my mind is to paint the "Z" on these vehicles... I think I will cut a stencil and then dry brush the "Z" on the model. I think making a decal for it is too difficult and I want some mimicking of the "spray bottle effect" with which these ad-hoc markings were applied around Feb 22nd of this year in Belarus. Any ideas?

Take care, thanks all for watching @tcinla @fiveten @lgardner and @johnb
    Louis, the door is dry-fitted for now, I plan to add some figures and model the truck as halted an hour back so there is still activity by Ukrainian SOF who opened all doors to secure all arms and ammo. Here is a video review on one of the figures, I bought it from a Kiev-Ukraine model store!

<iframe title="Bausatzbesprechung: DAN Models "ukrainischer Javelin-Schütze 2022" im Maßstab 1/35" width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YG5VpI0MXfQ?start=9&feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

Judging from the real pics and your project's ones, I can say that this will be one of a kind when finished, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Your build is a perrfect copy of the original one, Michel @michel-verschuere
    This dio will be an amazing one.

• Profile Photo

Over the last few days, I tried to take time to do some detailing on sub-assemblies of the GAZ Tigr. More on that later. I also applied snow for the first time. The setting is February/March this year and there was still snowfall at the time.

I use a micture of white acrynlic paint, PVA glue, a filler made of tiny glass beads and water. I tried to apply the mixture so that it looks realistic through the grass applied. I am happy about my first 1:35 snow! What do you think?

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looks realistic to me as well, Michel @michel-verschuere
    This is going to be a beautiful winterscape diorama.

• Profile Photo

The snow looks very realistic, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

I turned to the "Z" markings of the GAZ Tigr over the last few days. There are no decals yet as far as I can see and the issue was to get the marking a makeshift look, because they were actually added to the vehicles on February 22 and 23rd this year. Before that, BTG meant for the "Thunder Run" on Kiev had been assembling in Belarus and Southern Russia.

I had to practice twice to cut the mask from 0.3 mm thick styrene sheet with a fresh scalpel blade. I Then positioned the mask on the model and painted the markings using white enamel, almost like dry brushing through the mask. This gives a chalky look, which is good enough for me!

Looks almost real, now follows the final assembly. The snow came out fine as well after setting.

Hope you like it too!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Like it a lot, my friend @michel-verschuere! Looking very realistic!

• Profile Photo

The marking looks indeed very much like chalk, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Thanks for sharing how you did achieve that.

• Profile Photo

So here is the current status after a good day of final assemblies and finishing touches.

For this kit, most work is on the interior:

But then the outside also carries a lot of detail, not an easy weekend project, certainly not for me either.
    I added damage to the drivers' windshield, which made me think how to mimic burst safety glass. When safety glass breaks, there is a myriad of cracks, making the entire surface blur. This is how I did it:

1. I drilled a hole there where the projectile hit and breached the multi-layered safety glas
    2. This hole was roughened-up with a chisel and screwdriver edge
    3. I then sanded the window pane concentric around the hole by pinning a piece of sandpaper with a cocktail stick
    4. The backside (inner side here) of the window pane was painted with matt clear enamel, which makes it have this "milky" appearance

This window treatment technique did it for me, I am happy with the result!

The wheels are not attached yet, will first weather them. The weathering on the vehicle still needs to be done.

Happy about this build, that is now converging towards conclusion.

What do you think?

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looking superb, my friend @michel-verschuere!