1/12 Mercedes 300SL by Revell

Started by Michael Ezat · 31 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very nice progress Michael @faraomike - this is going to be an absolute stunner.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Good work so far, looking forward to seeing the next step, @faraomike.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I'm so disappointed with this kit that I don't even want to take a picture of it .
    Revell kicked a big chance to bring a classic kit to market and instead gave us one of the most awkward and poorly made kits I've come across in many years .
    And especially on this scale, regardless of the subject, you can only do the best you can. However, this kit is by no means the best that Revell could do!
    All, but all of his pieces are a disappointment! Where should I start and what should I end with? Note:

1. Poor plastic quality, especially the red parts. Very dry, stiff and with a bad relationship with glue (any glue, if it is Tamiya , Gunze , Revell contacta or any other , even for a cocktail of my own preparation enhanced with MEK [methyl-ethyl-ketone]) .

2.Bad-wrong engineering of the parts and the whole kit in general. It is unacceptable for the body to be given in two pieces in such a way that when it is closed you cannot hide the joint in any way, e.g. filling-sanding-painting or sticking something else on the joint .
    The moving mechanism on the doors is a nemesis, a real punishment that will break even the most resistant nerves .
    Wrong in detail – presentation and completely wrong as a conception since nothing sits right in place and nothing works in the end .

1. Poor or no detail on most pieces. Eg embossed spark plug wires, no brakes, fake springs in the suspension, poor fitting of parts: almost all the transparent parts are either smaller or larger than the openings they should go in, the interior does not sit properly in the body and the interior of the doors does not fit (it is crooked and small) in the doors .
      Talking about transparent parts : The rear lights are not in transparent as would be expected but in chrome !
      The doors are on a different scale, about 1/11, otherwise the difference in size compared to their opening is not justified .
      In short, don't try to fit the doors closed, unless you're prepared to make them quite small, and you'll probably need to leave the inside out, at least without "lightening" that too.

2. Too many unnecessary, poor quality chrome parts . For some reason Revell seems to have tried to make the whole kit out of red and chrome plastic and failed miserably. The chrome is very intense, coarse and poorly made with bumps, scratches and styrene(?) of dubious quality, worse than the red . The best thing you can do with them is to strip them of the chrome, apply a primer and paint them with a quality chrome paint like Alclad Chrome or so .

3. At this scale it is completely inexcusable to lack essential components such as the brake assembly, the ignition coils , all the plumping in the engine bay , realistic door engine hub and rear hub cover hinges and closing mechanism .

In conclusion :
    It seems like Revell was in a hurry or bored or even maybe thinking about the increased cost of a super kit and they took the decision and the risk and released this model .
    Perhaps with a revision an improved one can be released in the future, even if the cost is proportionally increased. Surely such a move would find a response from lovers of such kits and would probably mark the beginning of a new generation of super models of rare and impressive cars on a satisfying scale. In any case, it would improve Revell's image, which has certainly taken a big hit and this is something that such a large and historic company does not deserve.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Despite not being an excellent kit, you created an excellent looking Mercedes, Michael @faraomike
    I'm not a car expert, but from what I can judge, this build looks really nice.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Given what you said about the kit, the final result is a monument to talent and perseverance over plastic, because it looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

You overcame all challenges in a most effective way and came up with a wonderful result, my friend @faraomike!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for your kindly comments : @johnb , @tcinla , @fiveten , @chinesegeorge , @anthonyricco .
    I wish you to have the best summer holidays ! Rest, refresh and come back to continue the great work being done here .
    See ya in September ...

PS If you plan to visit Greece , you may find me here (Iraklitsa beach near Kavala , Macedonia , Greece) :

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Have a great holiday as well, Michael @faraomike
    Looks like a wonderful place to relax.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Congratulations on finishing this kit, @faromike. I’d recommend the 1/24 scale Tamiya kit of this classic car, it’s a pleasure to build. Enjoy your holiday.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 10 months, 1 week ago:

That's a great looking model, Michael @faraomike! Beautiful work indeed! 🥂

• Profile Photo

Wow! A great looking beach, my friend @faraomike!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your comments George @chinesegeorge . I know the Tamiya kit , it is real a perfect one . Even the old 1/24 Revell kit is better than this If I remember correctly .

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gary @garybrantley .

• Profile Photo

So what are you waiting for, start and come Spiros @fiveten .

• Profile Photo

Very tempting, my friend @faraomike! Not too easy, but you never know!