1929 Ford Woodie

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 17 · 9 years ago · 1929 Ford Woodie
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I'll start with this one. One of my "take a break" from the primary build projects. Old AMT all plastic kit being built stock with clean-up mods only.

Wood portion of body finished with Tamiya base coat & artist's oils. Metal portion with Tamiya & four coats of Future clear.

Interior finished with Tamiya paint & oils.

Fenders finished with Tamiya semi-gloss black & Future clear coat.

Underside fished with Tamiya semi gloss- black & oil. No clear coat at this point>

Inserts for body sides & tailgate finished with oils.

Will post as progress is made. Fabric top has yet to be painted

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good, Al.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Looks nice Al, I am too young to remember when they were new and also we did not have them over here but we had similar style of coach work on cars and vans.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Do you mean the Morris Minor Traveler? There's a guy in our British car club that has a nice example!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for inviting me! That'll give me an excuse to start on my 1/24 914 (or finish my 1/12 Z-Car)! This looks pretty good. The wood looks very convincing, and the BRG type green will go nicely with the black fenders! Woodies are cool, but I think the car that has 'em all beat is the '48 Town & Country. Phenomenal woodwork going on with that car!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for the invite, Al, good idea to start this group. Your Woodie sure looks promising. There was a vogue for British estate cars in the 50's and 60's to have a wood frame outside the body, the Morris Minor Traveller was probably the most popular, production ceased in the early 70's. Of course, Morgan sports cars had wooden chassis, and I think they still manufacture one model with this feature!

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Al,
    I humbly accept. Your invitation to join this group could not have come at a better time. I took on two jobs concerning the 1929 Ford. One a woodie and one a pickup. Both have been started. I am about to throw the woodie against the wall but it does not belong to me. The pickup is for friend I have known for a very long time. He owned the truck and wants me to replicate it as his photos show. This one looks like fun. your build of the 29' will give me inspiration. I HOPE...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Glad I flushed you out Frank. Looks like your Woodie kit might be a variation of mine from the Switchers kit. It had both a P.U. & a Woodie in it. If your inner wood panels are glued to the wood framing you might try to pop them loose. Would make painting a lot easier.
    Your friend's Woodie looks like the body was shortened up to make a 2-door out of it. Are you going to do that?

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Al,

I told him I would do it but I am not going to channel it like he did. It will have the stock look. Enough is a enough. I saw it on the road the other day and it is indeed a modified 29.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hi AL - Thanks for the invite. I'm not a car builder usually - i've got 1 in the stash!, but i'm always intersted in trying something new. The woodie looks good by the way.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Maynard said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I used to be a woodie junkie! I had a "beach wagon" model collection of about 30+ cars, some diecast most plastic, even a 1/6th woodie carved out of wood, it looked great. I even had a Corgi Morris Traveler. Alas, I sold the whole kit and kaboodel, only kept the 1/18 scale 1948 Ford station wagon. Ford had one plant that manufactured just station wagons and actually owned an entire forest in Wisconsin they drew their wood from. Restored, these cars command big money yet in the late 1950's and early 1960's west coast surfers snapped them up for short money to haul their long boards to the beach. Look forward to the finished "product", Al.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Have not made much progress on this. As I was starting to assemble the running gear I discovered that AMT made the exhaust & driveshaft too short & there is no support for transmission. Should have known better. This kit is a hodgepodge of parts from their other kits. Was a common practice & still is but usually not with these kind of problems. The exhaust & driveshaft issues have been corrected but the trans crossmember still needs scratch built.

Did get the wheels & tires done. Humbrel Ivory paint brushed on the wheels & Gesso brushed on the tires.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Those wheels look very, very neat, Al, I hope you can press on with this model and overcome the problems AMT have given you.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Too much time & effort invested in this one to let it beat me George.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Cars are not usually my "cup of tea" as we Brits like to say but does anyone know if there is a kit of the Morris Minor out there ? and if not WHY NOT ?
    N.