'1936 Ford Hot Rod

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 24 · 9 years ago · "36 Forde
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This is for the "same kit contest" for a club that I belong to. To be finished in early December. It is the recent rerelease by AMT of a kit from the 60's. I have an original in my collection that has a list price of $1.49 this release $26.99. Go figure.

Anyway this one will be a little radical. I have started gluing the lower body shell back together after sectioning (cutting as horizontal section out) on a 1:1 three inch front rake (taper). I want to use as much of the original kit as possible but the rules say you just have to start with this kit. Anything goes. I have a vision of the end product in my mind. I'll see how close I get.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Good luck with this project Al 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 6 months ago:

A chopped low-rider?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

You're a brave man chopping it like this, Al, but I'm sure it will turn out fine, looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Profile Photo

It will be low Rob & full fendered.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Ooh this looks a bit good Al. I look forward to your progress updates.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This sounds like a real fun project……looking forward to following your progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks to looking at the background of the Honda F-1 car your building I got interested so I went & bought one. I blame you George.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Don't blame George, we're all slaves to our private passions...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

That's ok, Al, you can blame me, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I blame my friends on iModeler for everything!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Putting my worn out saw away now & starting to assemble the body. Wanted to show the grafted plastic before sanding. This is required because of the body sectioning. I like to use as much plastic as possible before the filler. The rumble seat lid was a sloppy fit so I created an inner lip on the body & ran a shim around the perimeter of the lid itself. This will be glued in place but I think I'll keep the seam.

I have been trying to make my mind up whether to do a chopped top version or a roadster with a Duval windshield.

The running boards are now gone. The center section of the frame is cut out to get rid of the molded in exhaust. The X-member will be reattached. That is the Duval windshield laying there.

Added a couple of shots of a club meeting at my house this week. It was a contest night. The subject was Resin. Complete kits, conversions or just parts.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like you have had a great time there Al, some fine motors on show.
    The Ford is coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I like the look of that Duval windscreen, and your club night looked pretty busy with some smart looking vehicles there.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Thought I'd post an update before starting to shoot primer & cover all the work up:

Shows where the frame was cut away from the floor pan & the floor pan reattached to the fender assembly:

The three major assemblies getting ready for primer:

Couple of shots of the way it will look when done. Can't do the doghouse assembly until the body is attached to the fenders. The body has been sectioned on a 3" forward taper & needs to be in position to know how much to cut down the engine side panels:

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looking sweet, Al, it will look even sweeter with the paint.