1964 Ford Galaxie 500 4 door or ”How Al got me to build a car model”

Started by Rick Wilkes · 8 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Somewhere along the line Al Hoffman extracted a promise from me that, if a kit of a car directly connected to me was available, I would build it. None of the cars I initially named were available so I thought I was off the hook. Then I mentioned that we had a '64 Galaxie 500. As if by magic, the AMT kit appears. No, say I, ours was a four door not a 2 door. That night I get an email with a picture of the Missing Link '64 Galaxie 4 door resin conversion for the AMT kit..So "ride along" for my first ever "serious" car model.

So these are the parts from the conversion

A - Body

B - Interior

front seat

back seat

side panels

Not shown is new interior "bucket".

Everything else comes from the AMT kit.

Priming is underway so more pictures soon.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Another one gets the bug Rick.
    Enjoy it mate, it makes a change to build something different.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Lemme see if I got this right...you're taking a cool-lookin' 2-door sporty coupe and converting it into a 4-door "family" sedan..?! WHY? 🙁

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I will gladly accept the blame for freeing another soul from the land of matte finishes. Luckily I see him often enough to badger him till it's done.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Craig, I'm making it a 4 door because that what we owned. I much rather be doing my '72 Cougar, but alas one was not to be had ... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

AHA...a nostalgia build...now I get it. Make sure you paint it the same color as the you had! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like a nice project, Rick. Al will get us all 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

What a car! I remember watching them race in the British Touring Car Championship in the 1960s, seeing them compete with Minis was great. They are still popular in classic saloon racing in the UK (and elsewhere I expect), they are especially good to watch at the Goodwood Revival meeting in September (Simon, if you're reading this, do you ever make to this meeting, it's almost next door to where you live? It's not only cars and motorbikes, but WWII planes as well).