Amelia Earhart's 1937 Cord Model 812 Phaeton

Started by Tom Cleaver · 6 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, I am in fact a 'car guy" - at least as it applies to the real thing. I am a big fan of the great classics, and the older the better.

Recently, the LHS received an enormous (I mean, like 1,000+, the kits take up nearly all the shelves in the shop) collection of car kits from a deceased modeler who was in the automobile industry. His collection of kits goes back to the 1950s. All still bagged and many still factory-sealed. And offered for sale at "builder's prices" rather than collector prices.

Among the gems I found (at least to me) was a 1965 release Monogram 1/24 MG-TC, which caught my eye because I once owned one; a 1963 Studebaker Avanti, Raymond Loewy's design masterpiece, the original 1963 release AMT kit; a 1963 release AMT 1963 Corvette Stingray (I can still remember being knocked flat the first time I saw one in a showroom in October 1962 when they were first introduced); a 1964 release Jo-Han 1934 Mercedes 500K Special Sports Roadster; and this - the 1967 release 30th anniversary 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton Convertible. The whole bunch came to $125 well-spent.

Got home, started doing some research for photos of Cord 812s and found photos of the restored 1937 Cord 812 that belonged to Amelia Earhart - I had no trouble deciding what car I was going to do!

The kit was in original factory seal, all parts crisp out of the mold. It's not a hard project to build. And with these photos I think I will have something pretty cool. An airplane person's classic car.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tcinla - Congrats on the haul, and what a lovely car! I'm no expert, but I know good-looking classic autos when I see them, and the connection with Amelia Earhart is even better.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Congratulations, my friend @tcinla! S spectacular result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

An impressive choice, Tom @tcinla
    I would also have chosen to go for Emelia's car.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@fiveten - that's the real car, not a model.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Good choice from a fantastic selection, @tcinla, I don’t think you’re going to need any lead weights to keep the nose down.