Building the Suzuki RGV-1

Started by Jack Mugan · 16 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I know very little about these bikes. I used to have an old Triumph 350 back in the day, bored out to 400cc with custom paint with high rise handle bars. I have seen some beautiful bikes here on modeler, and when I saw one for sale at a very affordable price, I thought it might be fun to build one. So now that George has started his, I thought I'd join in on the fun. I am having a very good time building this kit. It seems complex to me, but things seem to fit just fine and it will be an OOB build.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like everything is under control Jack. The exhaust work is top notch.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 9 months ago:

It's looking good, Jack, nice detail work. I've looked at this kit as I've not got a Suzuki in my collection, but the decals have put me off so far, I'll be interested to see how you get on. Tamiya do two versions of this bike, the one you have, and a slightly later version with Telefonica markings, both look great.

• Profile Photo

This is my first time with one of these kits and I'm sure impressed with it so far. We'll see how the decals work out. I'll be watching the Daucati build with great interest George.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Nice work Jack, its good to hear the kits going together fine, these bike its do look complicated.

• Profile Photo

More progress on the Suzuki bike build. What a great building experience these kits offer. I'm very happy to get the front of the bike constructed, though I still have to run the cables etc. I dipped the front fender in Future after the decals we applied. As I bought this kit second hand I was worried about the decals as they looked a little rough, but so far so good. I'm just happy all the parts are there.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks like you've been building bike s for years.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like you are a natural with bikes as well Jack.
    Very nice indeed.

Simon.

• Profile Photo

I'm so glad you're enjoying this, Jack, your enthusiasm really shows in your build. You can't have too much more to do now, just those pesky decals!

• Profile Photo

Well the bike itself is built, but the decal work has just begun. As this was a used kit, the decals are a bit suspect, but with a lot of patience and relying on years of experience, I so far have been able to baby them into position. I have my fingers crossed that this continues.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You've done a great job on this Jack. If you don't see any obvious damage or cracking on the decals they are probably OK. Did you seal them as a precaution?

• Profile Photo

No Al, I know I should, but I thought I'd see how they went on first. They do not seem to be breaking up, just tough to get them to slide off. The blues are metallic and look real nice. They also fit well so far. It's like putting a puzzle together.

• Profile Photo

Your experience is obviously paying off here, Jack, I'm sure it's going to look good.

• Profile Photo

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had to order some French Blue and it came in today, so it should be clear sailing I hope. I lost one of my 2.5mm screws, but was able to get a replacement at my local Hobbytown which was a relief.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nearly there, Jack, it's looking really good. I usually find that Tamiya giveyou a couple of spare screws, you must have been unlucky!