Ford GT - Tamiya 1/24

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 77 · 1 year ago · custom, Ford, Photo Etch, sports car, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is going to be a fun build. I've been in love with this car for a long time. I'm pretty sure this is the largest version I'll ever be able to afford though. I did pick up some photo etch parts from Hobby Design, and even though I'm a little afraid of it, it should add to the overall final appearance. I do plan to go with the Mica Blue as one of Ford's factory colors and my personal favorite.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

An amazing entry of a gorgeous car, my friend @brithebuilder!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

@airbum - thanks Erik, it's been on my shelf for almost a year. It's finally time.

@fiveten - thanks Spiros, I now have visions of it with working headlights sitting on my shelf next to the original GT40... somehow a cool diorama with working street lights. I'm definitely getting ahead of myself though. I really do want to wire headlights though... dashboard seems like too much... we'll see.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

An inspiring design and it should make a great model, looking forward to following your build, Brian @brithebuilder.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great choice, Brian @brithebuilder
    Those Ford GT's, both old and new variants, are such beautiful cars.
    Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - I agree George, I really think it's a beautiful vehicle.

@johnb - Thanks John, I hope it turns out. The photo etch doesn't have the best instructions, and adding LED headlights is a definite gamble. It's where the fun is for me though, I haven't seen anyone on YouTube doing it, sooo, I guess I have to.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Can't wait to see this one @brithebuilder - one of the most gorgeous cars, and a great model I'm sure, you are going to do awesome.

• Profile Photo

I have 4 'nano' size LEDs on the way for the headlights. I had 2 nice red LEDs in my stock for the taillights... I also had to pick up a AAA battery holder and a slide switch. The headlight assembly seems to encourage LEDs being added and with the large flat bottom, I should be able to cut a nice panel opening to allow for battery replacement... probably hold the cover in place with magnets, then finding a good spot for the slide switch so it's accessible and not noticeable could be a minor challenge, there's always the bottom... or do I go with a push button switch and hide it behind the exhaust ports... push the exhaust to turn it on. That could be really cool, then it's truly hidden.

I used the Ford GT configurator on their website to generate my overall color scheme. I'm going with the blue, no stripes, and orange brake calipers and interior elements. The blue and orange should be a really cool contrast. Then the wheels will be Graphite with black lugs.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco - thanks, let's hope.

• Profile Photo

Wow @brithebuilder, that sounds like its going to be amazing - adding lights to kits is something I really want to learn to do.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

For sure you will get those LEDs in place, Brian @brithebuilder
    How about using button cell batteries so safe some space.

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco - it's actually quite simple to wire LEDs, the challenge with kits like Gundams is finding space to run the wires. This should be relatively easy. I buy all my LEDs from evandesigns.com. I have a couple videos on my YouTube channel - youtube.com/@brithebuilder... I was originally inspired to do most of it by other Youtubers, 'Models by Chris' and 'Otakubuilder' come to mind.

@johnb - I'm hoping to be able to use a pair of AAAs for longevity. I do have a button cell/coin cell battery holder, but it just doesn't last. It is what I used for the Warhammer Ork... I'd absolutely prefer to have it wired to a USB, like my last Gundam so I never have to turn it off, but there wouldn't be a good place for a wire to exit the vehicle without it looking very odd.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing decision to add those LEDs, my friend @brithebuilder! for sure you will find the optimum solutions regarding installation, placement of batteries and on-off switch. The chosen scheme is really cool!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @brithebuilder, you have a new subscriber, I'll definitely go check out your videos. Thanks a lot.