Ford GT - Tamiya 1/24

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 77 · 1 year ago · custom, Ford, Photo Etch, sports car, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@anthonyricco - thanks man, I appreciate it.

• Profile Photo

Alrighty, today's progress! I assembled a couple of the front end parts, painted the interior flat black, got the exterior painted Mica Blue. I used almost the entire tiny can on these few parts... 3 coats, but still. I have another on the way. And, I assembled the brakes with the photo etch. The orange needs a couple more coats, but it's looking cool already.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking cool already, @brithebuilder, you’re absolutely right.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking absolutely cool indeed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great paintwork, Brian @brithebuilder
    Which brand are you using for the mica blue.
    Currently I have some mica blue paintwork ongoing and use Tamiya for that, a minium of three rounds is needed.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge, @fiveten, @johnb - Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the compliments. I am also using the Tamiya Mica Blue, TS-50. It's a beautiful color, seems to match the actual car very well. The tiny can is a bit of a nuisance though. I should have bought 2 cans way back when I originally picked up the kit. The first can did cover all the main body panels, but there are still several small parts that will need to be painted and the first can is almost empty. I'd rather not have it start to run out on the small pieces and end up with a splotchy paint spray.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow the colour is really great, and the discs look awesome in PE, did that come with the kit?

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco - thanks, the Blue is a great color... the PE is a set I purchased from Hobby Design. I don't remember what the cost was, it was almost a year ago.

• Profile Photo

Well, good and bad today, the body is assembled and the tail lights are installed and look really cool... Unfortunately, while assembling the body, I managed to get glue finger and marked up a spot of the body. It was actually really minor and probably wouldn't have been noticeable, but it bothered me too much to leave it. So, since I was going to have to do a little bit of masking for the taillights and the couple PE vent covers I installed, I figured I'd look around for any other imperfections and take care of all of it right away. There were several little surface blobs and a couple seam leaks. So, now all the little issues are sanded and ready for another couple coats of TS-50. It's always something. I'll have to be more careful as I assemble the rest.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

That blue is looking good, @brithebuilder, good that you found the little imperfections now rather than later.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Indeed, better that you noticed and taking action now than later, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very nice result on the mica blue, Brian @brithebuilder
    Luckily you noticed the minor imperfections at this stage. They would likely be very hard to deal with once everything is done.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge, @fiveten, @johnb - Agreed gentlemen. The new blue has several coats and is almost finished. I'm hopeful that there will be no issues with the paint after this. I'm hoping to get the headlight assemblies built today, the LEDs for them should arrive later today or tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

Body color is actually done. I probably just caused myself a ton of issues by saying that, but hey... hopefully no more glue finger or glue pushing out of seams. The LEDs for the headlights will be here today. I'll post more pics as soon as they are assembled and lit up.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The small amount of orange peel will hopefully be eliminated with several clear coats and sanding between...