Mclaren F1 GTR #59

Started by Richard Mcstay · 34 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Let's continue with the fantastic Le Mans cars that you gentlemen are currently building! This is my first work in progress which means I can't hide anywhere if things go belly up!
    This is the 1995 Le Mans winning GTR and my personal favorite! I'm currently up at work in the Shetland Isles so it won't be the fastest of builds, in fact I won't even touch an airbrush till the 18th when I get home, but I shall try to get as much building done as I can till then.
    Cheers guys!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Richard, always interested in car builds (we don't see enough of them posted here), and this looks a really interesting project. I'm sure others here will be following this thread.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I am not far behind you Rob.
    Another car build to follow.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

If this is an Aoshima kit could you tell me if the kit has an engine? I've been looking at one of the Lamborghini's but can't bring myself to part with my money.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good luck Richard, i will follow your build and looking forward to your progress.
    Have fun with it !

• Profile Photo
    olivier.rive said 9 years, 5 months ago:

YESSSSSS ! Santa claus give me the same ! it's my favorite car designed by G.murray !
    happy building !

• Profile Photo
    olivier.rive said 9 years, 5 months ago:

pics like this :

• Profile Photo

Yes mate, I'm not the best with computers but I'll try my best to enlarge them!

• Profile Photo

Cheers for the support guys!

The kit is a 1/24 Fujimi kit and unfortunately doesn't have a full engine to answer Al, just minimal detail which can be seen through the back window of the closed boot. I had every intention of installing an engine and purchased this resin conversion kit pictured below.

However on inspection, the upgrade is for the road going version of the F1 and not for the GTR as was advertised on Ebay. This is a bit disappointing as I payed £75 for it! I had a look at fitting it anyway with the incorrect exhaust pipes, but it is also too large for this kit.

Never mind, I'll just have to buy the road going version as well... every cloud!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

That is a bummer Richard, but I am sure that you will have twice the fun building them.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Those are the kind of surprises that we don't need, but like you say now you can rationalize getting the other one. Thanks for the info on the kit. Did not know Fujimi did one.

• Profile Photo

I seem to have mastered big photo's. That is a technological milestone for myself there!
    I do still have some spare photo etch which has been duplicated in both detail sets, so I can add a bit of extra detail like the pedals.

• Profile Photo

Here is a pic of the test fit for the chassis and interior. As you can see there is not much engine detail. The axles and forks will be completely concealed on the final model but I think I will paint them for the benefit of the WIP.

On the plus side though, what you do get is of a high quality. The plastic is thin and molded very well, any ejection pin marks are concealed and the sprue joins are mostly invisible hidden within the body. It is quiet refreshing to put a kit like this together after the previous two!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Great start, Richard. Looking good.
    Looks like a very nice kit, you have on the bench. 🙂

• Profile Photo

That's the windows masked, I have used the masks that come with the kit and applied them to the inside of the glass. I'm hoping that if I paint on the inside the end effect will look like black glass. Note that any rough edges previously connected to the sprues will be well out of sight.

The shell fits like a glove! I've test fitted the door panels here, they are not glued in place yet as I am planning on getting out the trusty Scale Motorsport carbon fibre kit!

You have a choice of leaving the doors shut or opening them up. As you can see I am going to keep the both open. The two catches are glued onto the doors and test fitted. They seem to be symmetrically perfect and fit precisely into place holding the weight of the doors. I was a bit worried about glueing this part but that is my mind at rest!

I'm afraid that is all I can do now till I get home from work on the 18th... weather depending. So far I am really impressed with the precision of this kit. I would like a full engine and some photo etch but I honestly could not fault what is in the box.