Mclaren F1 GTR #59

Started by Richard Mcstay · 34 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Making good progress Richard. Glad to here there is no problem mating the body to the chassis. On some kits that can be like getting a square peg in a round hole.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks great so far Richard ! Can t wait to see more progress.
    It seems its a nice and troublefree build, great masking job 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Cheers guys, I haven't had any bother with it at all. It's just a shame that the resin and PE upgrades were for the wrong kit! I did have big plans for this one.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Right, I'm back home and that is Xmas out the way with! Time to crack on!

Here are the wheels and brakes. I mixed gold, copper and black to replicate the burnt iron colour. Anyone who is into their motor sport will know that OZ wheels, Michelin pilots and Brembo calipers are a serious combination!

The interior isn't far off, I'm currently applying the carbon fibre, but that's not quite ready.

I've got the shell almost finished. the decals went on brilliantly, great quality from Fujimi!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looking great Richard, nice finish on the bodywork.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Perfect and clean, your races is coming really nice along, looks great !
    The decals look like painted on, thumbs up !

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! The decals are really good with this kit.

I checked out some interior pics on google and the GTR's all have a full carbon fibre interior. I've tried to replicate that here with a Scale Motorsport carbon fibre sheet. For the record I haven't used any templates here, they all had to be cut by hand which took hours!

I haven't spent too long on the engine detail as most of it will be hidden at the end.

I got these kits for Xmas from Claire, a complete surprise also! I can't promise the completed articles for a while though, my stash is getting a bit on the large side!

• Profile Photo

Who is a lucky man then Richard.
    Nice work on the car too.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy. Thanks to a few of you LeMans builders I had to break down & order this:

I think yours is going to turn out great. Paint detailing on autos can make or break them.

• Profile Photo
    California Steve said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Richard, First I am loving this build. Here comes the (but)! If you look very closely, the wheel hub nuts are blue for the right and red for the left wheels. These are colored like this because they are threaded bidirectionally so they stay on properly. And to also let the tire guys know what side fits what. This is done like this on many exotics.
    Keep posting, Great modeling.
    California Steve

• Profile Photo

Hi Richard, the extra work with careful masking will be rewarded with a great looking build.
    Hopefully you have time in the future to continue this very nice build.
    Congratulations for these nice kits, enjoy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! Now that Lambo looks the part Al ! Looking forward to seeing that!

Cheers for the head's up Steve. That explains a lot actually. I did notice the different coloured wheel nuts in different pics. I assumed that the different colours must have had something to do with the types of tyres fitted on them. I didn't realise they were different on each side of the car as you can only ever see one side in a photo! Cheers for that mate, I shall correct them at once and will have a more accurate model.

Cheers Bernd, Claire goes back to work today, so I have five whole days to myself in the house. I have no excuse but to lock myself in the cave!

Unless anyone wants to come round for a party?!...

• Profile Photo

Hi Richard, have lots of fun in your man cave and best wishes to Claire.
    Hmmm, the UK is a tad to far away for me currently, must have an eye on business
    Maybe you will be surprised who is ringing at your door at some time 🙂

• Profile Photo

Here's an update on the build. I've actually finished it now but I've been unable to post anything as I left my USB cable in the Shetlands. The cheap replacement was a little too cheap and didn't work so I've borrowed one off a mate.

Cheers for the advice Steve, I corrected the colouring on the wheels.

I have wired up the cockpit electronics using google images for reference. These wires weren't included in the kit, I used some of the spare brake cables I had left over from the bike kits. The wiring isn't 100% accurate, I glued it in place roughly where it fit the best. It is sort of in the right place, but there's a chance it will explode if you start it up!

I finished the carbon fibre applications on the door panels and spoilers. This has to have been the most time consuming part of the build. I think there are templates available online, which I will definitely use next time round!

And here is the finished interior awaiting the shell.

The last step was to fix the lights in place but I'll save the finished article for the headlines!

Thanks to all that have followed, Happy new year and best wishes!

• Profile Photo

Well Richard, it looks damn fine to me.
    I like the carbon decals, some thing I will have to look into for future builds.